This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

To all the beautiful, talented, intelligent, empowered ladies out there: this is for you.

Do you believe you’re strong, worthy of respect, and you can do anything you desire? Congratulations, you’re a feminist. If you’re hesitant to take on that title, don’t worry… you’re not the only one. In the twenty-first century, there is a taboo surrounding what it means to be a feminist; it’s not just a group of ladies sitting around plotting the demise of the male gender, I can promise you that. So my dear, if girl power, voting rights, and job opportunities are your kind of thing, read on.

According to Webster’s dictionary, feminism is “the theory of the political, economic, and social equality of the sexes.” In simple terms, feminism is the notion that gender is not a liability or symbol of inferiority, so women should be offered the same opportunities as men. It’s not about taking power away from males, which is a popular misconception, it’s about sharing power equally. After all, how can we succeed as a nation if half of the population is still being held back?

The feminist story began in 1848 when some brave ladies organized the Seneca Falls Convention. This event is known today as the first women’s rights convention on American soil; it was intended to call attention to the unfair treatment of women at the time, but it ended up doing so much more. The Seneca Falls Convention and its’ attendees (approximately 260 women and 40 men) ignited the Women’s Suffrage Movement in America. After 72 years of protest, the right to vote was finally awarded to females in 1920. Since then, ladies have been tirelessly working to achieve the equality and representation they deserve.

But how is it that we are still fighting a fight that began nearly 170 years ago? It’s 2017, it’s time to acknowledge that women are capable of so much more than anyone ever fathomed. Women are CEOs, doctors, politicians, scientists, and everything in between. Unfortunately, there is still work to be done. This is where you have the chance to enter the story. So don’t be afraid to speak up. Be who you want to be and demand respect for that. As the next generation of leaders, influencers, and change-makers, we have the power to change the world. Ladies, it’s up to you to make sure “feminist” isn’t just the twenty-first century’s next taboo “f-word.” You can do it. We can do it.

HCXO,

Megan

I'm Megan Miller, a senior Psychology/Sociology double major and Children's Studies minor. You can find me giving campus tours, kicked back in the Fred Rogers Center, or on a date with my homework at the local coffee shop. If there's one thing you need to know about me, it's that I approach every day with one goal: make Michelle Obama proud.
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!