This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

This past weekend, I got to go home and crown the new 2018 Homecoming Queen for my high school. Never did I know that it was a moment of a lifetime.

Growing up in a small town, with a high school a lot smaller, you grow up knowing everyone. If you don’t know someone you at least know of them. Going to the same high school as my mom, she always mentions how she knows this person, had this teacher, and so on.

Luckily, I had the chance to meet one of my mother’s high school friend, Miss Aubrey. When I was younger, she and her family would come to my families Christmas party. She has four awesome kiddos and I had always talked to them. Yet, her youngest daughter, Finley, was super shy and was the only one I couldn’t get to talk to me. Finley was a lot more timid than the rest of her older siblings. Every sporting event that I would go to for my younger siblings, I would try and hold a conversation with her, but nothing worked.

Flash forward to this current year, I went home Friday, October 5th for my high school’s homecoming game, and got all ready. As I got to the game, I shuffled to my seat and watched until halftime. At halftime, I walked on the field to crown my high school’s new Homecoming Queen. After crowning her, I walked off the field and to the bleachers to my parents when Miss Aubrey caught my eye, so I went over to her and my mom. During the conversation, she mentioned that Finley wanted to see me. I was beyond excited to talk to her, because she normally never spoke to me. Finley comes down and just looks at me blankly, smiles and then gives me the biggest hug ever.

When I was a kid, I remember how excited I would get to see the homecoming queen and king. So, doing what my childhood self would have wanted, I took my tiara off and plopped it right on her head. After she finally grasped what had just happened, her face lit up.

It was so heartwarming to know that she was happy. Aubrey told me that the whole time I was on the field she watched me and pay close attention. It was so cool to know that she was fascinated by all of this. If you have a chance to make someone happy, do it. It was a moment of a lifetime. I am so glad that I could make Finely happy and make her day. You never know what impact you have on your peers.

HCXO,

Noelle

saint vinny's '22. writer & photographer. check out my vsco! link below. www.vsco.co/nnnoelleee