This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Everyone in the Pittsburgh area knows of the beloved Randyland. A place full of bright colors, intriguing art, and endless photo-ops. People travel from across the country to see this unique attraction, but not many know about the creator behind it all: Randy Gilson.

Recently, I had the opportunity to meet Randy for the first time and hear some of his story. I was inspired, to say the least. He quickly became one of the most self-less and positive people I’ve ever met.

At the end of our conversation, Randy encouraged me to take as many business cards as I could. He wanted me, as well as everyone else who leaves Randyland, to distribute them far and wide to spread his message. With this small gesture, I could tell how passionate Randy was about spreading positivity and bringing people together on his property. I did what he asked and left some business cards here and there, but I also wanted to share his story in this article. So, Randy, this one’s for you!

Randy Gilson is a 61-year-old artist and happiness facilitator from Homestead, PA. Throughout his lifetime, he had been in and out of homelessness with his family and as an independent. Randy was also diagnosed with ADHD, a form of Autism, that he uses to his advantage. Randy appreciates his unique view of the world and uses his energy to channel happiness through a free display of artwork. “I believe joy, love, happiness, and understanding should all be free” Randy quoted to the Pittsburgh Post Gazette. Though his life was not always easy, he used hardship to motivate him to bring more cheer to Pittsburgh and beyond.

In addition to his public showcase of art and positivity, Randy cares for over 800 gardens in 8 parks around the Pittsburgh area. He moved to Pittsburgh’s Northside in 1982 where he became a community activist, guerrilla gardening vacant lots across Manchester, the Mexican War Streets, and surrounding neighborhoods.

What most people don’t know is that Randy did not build-up this “happy house” on his own. With the help of his partner, Mac (pictured in the cover photo), the two made their artistic dreams come true and created a place that would embody the spirit of their relationship. Randy met Mac in 1994 at a festival in Pittsburgh and the following year, two began build Randyland up from nothing. The pair purchased a 100-year-old house for $10,000 on a credit card. It was run-down and dull in appearance, but after a little bit of upcycling and dumpster-diving, would become the Randyland we know and love. To accomplish this, they also purchased thousands of gallons of “oops paint” (discounted colors discarded by customers) and got to work painting whimsical murals and making sculptures from every-day objects.

“I’m a junk man. People say I’m an artist. Well, I’m both” Randy stated. Even to this day, he is always adding to the eclectic art collection and encourages visitors to contribute their own special touches, too. One of his main goals with Randyland is to educate others on recycling, repurposing, and rethinking. From the conversation we had, I could tell he was really big on the fact that this was a community, not just his house. He wants everyone to feel welcomed, important, equal, and above all, happy when they’re at Randyland.

Randy is also very proud of the fact that Randyland is the home of the world’s largest “welcome wall” that includes signs from over 100 countries all in one place. He wants it to keep getting bigger and bigger too, in order to make everyone feel at home and included.

Randy also announced to us that day that he wants to give his “healing house” to the city of Pittsburgh. No longer would it be called Randyland but would be referred to as “R-Land” meaning, OUR land. He wants the attraction to belong to the people as a “common table” where they can connect, create, and heal.

For those who haven’t visited, I strongly encourage you to. It is such a happy spot in town and I guarantee you’ll leave there with a smile. Hopefully you’ll run into Randy while you’re there too and can learn even more about this awesome man and the work he’s done.

Randyland is located on 1501 Arch St. in Pittsburgh, PA. You can’t miss it!

HCXO,

Ashley