Living on Your Own Before College is Over

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

This past summer I decided that I needed to live on my own. Not because I wanted to leave my parents by themselves but because I felt I needed a taste of the real world before I have to live it at the end of this year. It really was an eye-opening experience. From paying bills, to making dinner every night, and finding time to exercise at least three times a week, it was a big adjustment to my college life routine that I’ve lived for the past three years, but now I feel more prepared for what is ahead of me. As fun as it was to have whatever I wanted for dinner, and endless time for fun because there was just work and no homework, I still missed these things about home.

Mom’s Homemade Meals

I tell you what, I have a lot more appreciation for my Mom after dealing with cooking for just myself and my boyfriend all summer. She would come home from work and have a three course dinner that was healthy and delicious every single night! However, I was pretty excited when I made an awesome meal, it was rewarding.

Disappearing Messy-ness

Even though I’m a pretty organized person, sometimes I’ll let one too many past outfits sit on the chair in my room. This summer, they stayed there, and so did my dishes if I wasn’t the one to pick them up. At home, even though my mom definitely wasn’t my maid, if things got a little messy, she would put things away and make everything seemed organized, no questions asked.

Folded Laundry

I’m used to doing laundry at school, but it’s definitely more of a routine there because I make it fit into my schedule to go to down to the laundry room and fold. Living on my own, I felt that I always had so much to do that laundry was always on the bottom of my list. By the end of summer, I used laundry as an escape of other things (aka, cleaning the bathroom)

Dad’s Lectures

Do you ever do something that your parents, especially your Dad would totally give you a lecture about? I think that should be a yes from everyone. I’ll have to say, there were times that I was proud of myself because my mind let me lecture my own self, but I still missed my Dad talking to me over a cup of tea how I could have handled a situation better.

HOME

One of the hardest parts about living on my own this summer was that it really didn’t feel like home, just a place that I would be temporarily; which isn’t wrong. There weren’t pictures of childhood on the walls, and there weren’t sounds that I was used to. But, it taught me to appreciate how hard my parents worked to give me all of that, and for that I am thankful.

Living on your own before college is actually over, I think, is an experience everyone should have. You gain a lot of knowledge, appreciate more, and most importantly learn more about yourself. It’s something special to see how much you’ve changed from May-August. I feel that I can take on senior year and maybe my worries and fears may just be a little less because I now have a little bit confidence. 

HCXO,

Juli

Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!