Gift Giving on a College Girl Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

I love this time of year for many reasons. One of the biggest is shopping for Christmas gifts. I love spending hours scrolling through Etsy and Amazon in search of that perfect present. However, once I got to college I realized how much more difficult it would be to buy the gifts I wanted to give. Student loans and other costs have put quite the damper on my budget. I know I am not the only one in this predicament, so I decided to put together a short list to help ease the stress of Christmas shopping on a college budget. 

1. Only buy for the most essential people on your list. 

It may be tempting to spend money on everyone you know, but do not feel the need to buy for everyone you have in the past. After all, the season is not really about the gifts. 

2. Shop those sales!  

Remember, sales do not end after Cyber Monday. Many retailers have sales going all month long. 

3. It is okay to spend less than you have in the past. 

Your financial situation is probably completely different than it was before college, and the people in your life will understand that. 

4. Handmade gifts are the best gifts.

The thought put into homemade gifts means way more than how much money you could have dropped on something from the store. Paint something. Write a song. If you are not artistically inclined, make a mix CD or playlist that reminds you of that person, or print some pictures and make a photo album. There are countless DIY gift ideas at the tip of your fingers with a quick Google search. 

5. Do not stress. 

This is the most wonderful time of year. Do not let gift-giving pressure get the best of you. Take a deep breath and enjoy your time with family and friends. That is what it is all about. 

Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!