This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Love is in the air. It’s that time of year again where the next few days are all centered around “will you be my valentine?” Personally, I think Valentine’s Day is an overrated, commercial holiday that gets way too much attention. Before you think it, no I’m not a cynical person who thinks that love isn’t real. I’m a strong believer in all love offers but I do believe that it involves much more than just a singular day.

What is a love language?

Have you ever heard of love language? Your love language is the way you give and receive love. You can have a different language for giving and receiving, or the same. I first became very interested in love languages not because of a romantic relationship, but during counselor training for summer camp. We were going to be spending every day and night with each other, so our leaders found it important for us to learn how one another received and gave love. I thought it was a fantastic idea because it helps you understand the other person so much better.

The idea of love languages is written beautifully by Gary Chapman. You can discover more on his book “The 5 Love Languages: The Secret to Love that Lasts” on his website http://www.5lovelanguages.com.

What are the love languages?

The 5 love languages are “words of affirmation,” “acts of service,” “receiving gifts,” “quality time,” and “physical touch.” They are pretty self-explanatory as to their meaning, but you can find out more about your love language by clicking the link above.

Knowing your love language, as Chapman explains, is a great way to better yourself and the love you give and receive. It can help you discern what makes you happy, truly happy. Personally, I give love by words of affirmation. I think there is truly something special in words, and as a writer, I can see why that makes sense. My receiving love language is quality time. I value time that I can spend with people and appreciate someone that is able to show me their true self. By knowing this and sharing it with those I love, they can better understand me and how to show me affection.

I hope this small lesson on loves keeps your love life bright and beautiful in this wonderful loving season.

HCXO,

Juli

Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!