stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Wellness

Favorite Products to Fight Dry Skin

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

We can see an inkling of winter even in mid-November! You know what that means?! Hot chocolate, snow days, fuzzy sweaters, and gross dry skin! You heard me. As I write this, my friend’s hands are covered in Vaseline and wrapped in socks in an attempt to salvage her poor epidermis and my legs are itchy and scaly. How can we possibly escape this endless cycle of flaky skin? With the help of my friend Hannah, I’ve created a list of possible solutions for your dry skin!

1. Most people don’t think of moisturization as something that happens in the shower. However, there are plenty of in-shower body lotions available! One that I recommend is Nivea In-Shower Body Lotion. It keeps your skin nice and smooth without making your skin greasy or sticky!

2. Maybe in-shower body lotion isn’t your thing. However, that doesn’t mean that you have to suffer from dry skin. Traditional lotions work just as well. I suggest trying Cetaphil Moisturizing Cream before bed. This lotion is thick and provides your skin with the moisture it craves. It’s also unscented, which makes it perfect for people with sensitive skin!

3. Faces can’t be ignored when it comes to dry skin. Chapped skin on your face can be one of the most painful things to experience in the winter. One culprit of this issue is often face wash. Many face washes can be drying, even for people with naturally oily skin. Try changing up your face wash to something more gentle in the winter. I recommend Cetaphil Daily Facial Cleanser. This cleanser has kept my skin relatively clear and soft without over-drying it. Try rotating this cleanser into your routine for when your skin needs a break from harsher acne washes.

4. Sometimes skin can even be too sensitive for even the gentlest cleansers. However, that doesn’t mean that your skin care routine should be abandoned all together. A great alternative to traditional cleansers is micellar water. Micellar water draws out impurities and leaves your skin clean and healthy without drying it out. Garnier produces an awesome micellar water and also makes one that helps to take off water proof make up!

5. Picking a proper way to cleanse your face is not the only thing that you need to do this winter. Picking an appropriate moisturizer can also be challenging for some people. CeraVe Ultra-Light Moisturizing Lotion is great for maintaining your smooth skin. Using this moisturizer every day, not just when my face gets dry, has helped avoid dry skin thus far.

6. Lips can get super dry and painful during the colder months. However, you don’t have to sacrifice your cute makeup looks for the sake of your lip health. There are plenty of tinted lip moisturizers on the market. I recommend using Vaseline’s lip therapy in “rosy lips.” It leaves your lips nice and soft while giving them a cute pink tint!

7. Hands are what help us maneuver through our world. Things can get a little rough when they become dry and cracked. Sometimes a simple body lotion isn’t good enough to do the trick. I highly recommend carrying a hand cream in your purse for the times your digits need a little extra love. I recommend Udder Cream Hand Lotion. This lotion absorbs into your hands quickly and leaves them feeling renewed and not oily. You never have to waste time waiting for your hands to dry! Also, the packaging is an adorable cow print.

Moisturizing is something that we often forget about until its too late and our whole body is just uncomfortable. Providing yourself with the proper defenses against the cold dry air is one of the

only ways to avoid this problem that plagues almost everyone. These are the products that Hannah and I found to be the most useful between the two of us, but it is up to YOU to choose proper products that work for you. Not all skin is the same, and there is no product that works for everyone, but I hope that this list gave you some ideas of where to start!

HCXO,

Gina

Gina Johnston

St Vincent '19

"Freedom lies in being bold" - Robert Frost Rugger, vegetarian, future educator