courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
courtney cook uoHvtkDcH8M unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Coffee and Friendship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

*sips coffee*

There is nothing that I enjoy more than a good cup of coffee and talking to people (shocking, right?) Believe it or not, both have some things in common. 

Energy. 

What are we without it? Coffee can wake you up in the morning, and get your day kickstarted. It gives you the extra boost you need, when you don’t know how to begin. It’s an easy pick-me-up throughout the day to keep you focused and on track. The same idea goes for people. Whether you’re an extrovert or an introvert, people can give you energy. Being around friends with similar interests and focuses can help lead you in a positive direction. Friends can be your shoulders to lean on during the tough times, and your biggest cheerleaders during the great ones. 

Let’s talk. 

There is a reason that people say “Let’s grab coffee” or “Can I get you something to drink?” when you have company over. People share something over coffee- a conversation. Conversations that aren’t over iMessage, but face-to-face interaction. The typical “let’s do coffee” is about more than just the coffee- it’s about talking. Even if you don’t drink it, go. Go for the convo, and you won’t regret it. 

Veinte French Vanilla Latte to go, please.

Coffee comes in a variety of flavors and sizes, and so does friendship in a way. You have your choice in coffee, and the same goes for friends. You have your go-to, your regular. As for friendships, you have your constants and future bridesmaids, close friends and then those at a surface level. You choose all of them to be in your life because they have value to you in some sort of way. Some friends are like decaf, where others are like espresso shots bursting with energy. You may have your favorite local coffee shop to visit that reminds you of home, and the same goes for an old friend from high school. 

What would we do without either one of them?

I’m happy that I won’t have to find out.

Her Campus Saint Vincent contributors Anna Sowinski and Olivia Cerniglia

Olivia Cerniglia is a sophomore at Saint Vincent College with a major in Communication and minor in Marketing. She is the Promotions & Events Director for MadComm. Olivia is a member of Benedictine Leadership Studies, Residence Life, Alpha Lambda Delta, and Women in Business. When she is not watching Scandal on Netflix (and dreaming of working as a White House Correspondent or filling the shoes of Olivia Pope), you can find her at the coffee shop with a good book. Follow her on Instagram @ocerniglia.
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!