This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

October is about halfway over, and that means that Halloween is just around the corner! One of the best ways to prepare for the upcoming holiday is to watch some movies ranging from classic and fun to downright scary. Here I’ve gathered some of the best movies to play on the weekends, with your friends after classes, or even before bed; although, I don’t recommend watching some of these by yourself.

1. Hocus Pocus: This is a cult classic that simply cannot be ignored. It focuses around the Sanderson Sisters—three witches who formerly terrorized the town before they were put down. Now they are back to raise hell once again on Halloween night. Not entirely scary but still loads of fun to watch.

2. ​Halloweentown 1, 2, High, and Return to: These four Disney movies are some of the best movies to get you in the Halloween spirit! Following Marnie and her two siblings, the movie shows their journeys to Halloweentown with their grandmother. Throughout these four movies, we see Marnie save Halloweentown on more than one occasion and even go to college. How fitting.

3. Scream: I personally am not a big fan of slasher films; however, I know many people that enjoy the goriness and constant thrills. This movie follows a specific group of friends as they are preyed on and picked off by a secret killer. If you get scared easily, definitely don’t watch this movie alone.

4. Coco: I know that this isn’t a Halloween or scary movie, but we cannot forget about el Día de los Muertos. This adorable and tear-jerking Pixar movie released last year is such a great family and history lesson. It centers on a young boy and his specific family and their celebration of the holiday. When the young boy is caught up in a predicament, his whole family comes in to save him. Also, the music is so catchy and upbeat.

5. The Conjuring: Personally, movies involving demons also scare me, so this is not a personal favorite of mine. Despite this, some people really enjoy thrillers like this one. This movie is about Ed and Lorraine Warren, both paranormal experts, investigating a specific family’s situation of extreme demonic activity. This movie is not for people who do not enjoy being scared.

6. Casper: A big switch-up from the previous, this film is all about a friendly ghost. The young ghost falls in love with a young girl who is human. This causes a hoard of problems, but the movie itself is so cute and perfect for the time of year.

7. The Craft: Despite the aggressive and dangerous witchcraft that occurs throughout this film, the outfits that the main characters sport are so on-trend right now. This movie is also really entertaining and takes many twists and turns. Overall, this movie isn’t awfully terrifying, but it is something to watch with friends at a sleepover or something fun like that.

HCXO,

Marisa

Marisa Metropoulos

St Vincent '22

I am a freshman at Saint Vincent College, majoring in Early Childhood Education. I absolutely love fashion, music, health and wellness, my faith, and traveling. Follow me on Instagram: @marisametropoulos and Twitter: @mametro34