The Benefits of Having an Internship in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

College is the perfect time to explore your interests and future career paths through internships! Saint Vincent has an abundant amount of resources to connect its students with internships, such as the Career Center, various clubs, and even professors with networking connections. Internships prepare you for real world experiences, allow you to meet new people and show off your skills, and looks great on a resume! 

My major is politics with a pre-law concentration, so I started searching for internships related to government and legal fields towards the end of my sophomore year. In the summer of 2016, I had my first internship working with the Commonwealth Foundation, a think-tank based in Harrisburg, PA that advocates for free-market principles. While with the Commonwealth Foundation, I learned the basics of running a non-profit organization and also got to meet various Pennsylvania state representatives. 

In the spring of 2017, I participated in a remote internship with Federal Magistrate Judge William Baughman of the United States District Court, Northern District of Ohio. I connected mostly with Judge Baughman a few times a week via Skype. I was sworn in as an officer of the court and participated in various sessions regarding the rules of civil procedure as well as federal habeas corpus. It was a challenge having an internship while I had classes, but it was definitely rewarding Judge Baughman did an excellent job at preparing me for law school. 

In the summer of 2017, I had my third internship working as the Commissioners’ intern for the Dauphin County Commissioners’ Office. Through this internship, I learned a great deal about how county governments function and got to work on many fun projects alongside the Commissioners and their Deputy Chief Clerk. One of my favorite projects was going to the county prison and working on a project with the warden regarding inmate records. I also got to attend a number of ribbon-cuttings and ceremonies with the Commissioners and their Press Secretary. 

Three internships may seem like a lot, but they all taught me different things and exposed me to different aspects of my career path. I made many contacts and friends through my work ethic and critical thinking skills. All three experiences were amazing and I have Saint Vincent College to thank for helping me find and achieve these positions. So if you’re thinking about an internship, don’t wait! Utilize the various resources on campus to find something you are interested in and don’t be afraid to go for that interview! I promise you won’t be disappointed.

Rebecca is a junior politics major at Saint Vincent College. Her dream is to attend law school and be the next Elle Woods. In her free time, Rebecca likes to read, drink lots of coffee, or watch Criminal Minds. Fun Fact: she always carries her pocket Constitution with her!
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!