Being a Foodie in the Fall

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Pumpkin, Corn, Apple, Spice, OH MY!

When I think Fall, not only are there thoughts of the perfect temperature, foliage, and haunted houses, but food! Fall is the season that encompasses Thanksgiving, tailgates, and festivals! If you’re in the mood for making some easy, yummy, fall inspired dishes, look no further. Grab a gal pal, your significant other, or family, head into the kitchen and get started.

Pumpkin Spice Chex Mix

This is a quick and easy recipe perfect for tailgates and a snack to keep in your dorm room.

Ingredients:

3/4 cup (1.5 sticks) unsalted butter, melted

3/4 cup packed brown sugar

3 tablespoons pumpkin spice

2 tablespoons vanilla extract

1 (12 oz) box cinnamon chex cereal

1 (12 oz) box honey nut chex cereal

4 cups pretzels

1 (21 oz) bag autumn/harvest candy mix (or plain candy corn)

How to:

1.) In a medium bowl, whisk together butter, brown sugar, pumpkin pie spice and vanilla extract.

2.) In an extra large bowl, toss together both chex cereal flavors and pretzels. Pour butter mixture 

3.) Over the cereal mixture and toss to distribute.

Microwave: Microwave uncovered for 6 minutes, stirring every 2 minutes. Spread on wax paper to cool. Add harvest candy mix and toss to combine. Store in airtight container.

Oven: Preheat oven to 275°F. Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper. Divide mixture on the two baking sheets and spread in even layers. Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on wax paper to cool. Add harvest candy mix and toss to combine. Store in airtight container.

Read more at: http://www.thenovicechefblog.com/2015/10/pumpkin-spice-chex-mix/#kPWVXJ3e5ZT0jw0f.99

Perfect Pumpkin Seeds

Okay, so after your long day of pumpkin carving, you’re going to have a ton sad and lonely seeds laying around. Use this recipe to have a tasty snack when you’re sitting by the bonfire drinking some hot apple cider.

A key tip is to clean the seeds well and always watch them as they bake. They will turn out best this way.

Ingredients:

Seeds from 2 large pumpkins

½ teaspoon Lawry’s Seasoned Salt

½ tablespoon olive oil

Dash of salt

How to:

1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

2.) Scrape out and remove seeds from your two pumpkins. Wash and clean your seeds from your pumpkin, making sure you remove any unwanted pumpkin rinds or deformed seeds. Wash in a colander and once again remove any unwanted items.

3.) Soak the clean seeds in a bowl full of water for ½ hour on kitchen counter or overnight in the refrigerator. Drain the seeds, discarding the water.

4.) Fill a pot with water and a dash of salt (enough water so that it will cover the seeds). Bring the water to a boil. Place seeds into the boiling water and boil gently for about 10 minutes. This helps cook the insides of your pumpkin seeds so when you go to roast them you will get perfect pumpkins seeds crunch insuring the insides are cooked.

5.) Turn off the heat and drain the seeds and place back into your empty bowl. Toss seeds with olive oil. Lay out seeds in thin layer onto a cookie sheet. Sprinkle with Lawry’s Seasoned Salt. Place in oven and move and turn the seeds over about every 10 minutes, making sure they are not burning. Seeds are done after about 40 minutes or when they become firmer and are no longer soft. You do not want dark spots on your seeds, you want them to be a darker yellow. Season with additional salt if desired. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Place into a clean mason jar. Enjoy!

Read more at: http://homecookingmemories.com/perfect-pumpkin-seeds/

Chicken Salad with Apples and Cashews

Sandwiches are always a must at tailgates. This is a simple recipe that will be sure to get those fall taste buds tingling.

Ingredients:

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/2 cup Greek yogurt

1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar

1/4 cup honey

Salt & freshly ground black pepper, to taste

1 cup salted cashew halves & pieces

1 1/2 pounds diced or shredded chicken (about 4 cups)

2 cups diced apples (such as Honeycrisps)

How to:

1.) In a large bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, apple cider vinegar, honey, salt, and pepper until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use, for up to two days.

2.) Preheat oven to 350°F. Spread out cashew pieces on a baking sheet and bake for 5 to 10 minutes or until light golden brown, watching carefully. Allow to cool.

3.) To the bowl of dressing, add diced chicken, toasted cashews, and diced apples. Refrigerate for at least an hour to chill and allow the flavors to blend.

Read more at: http://www.fivehearthome.com/2014/10/19/chicken-salad-with-apples-cashews/

Slow Cooker Nacho Soup

What says football, and fall weather more than nachos and soup? Nothing. What if I told you that you could have them both in one? You’d love me? I guess you should buy me some flowers then!

Ingredients:

1lb ground beef, cooked and drained of fat

1 cup yellow onion, chopped

1 cup green bell pepper, chopped

3 minced garlic cloves

1 jalapeno, seeds removed and diced

15 oz corn, drained

15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed well

15 oz petite diced tomatoes, drained

1 ½ tsp chili powder

1 ½ tsp salt

1 tsp ground black pepper

⅛ tsp red pepper flakes

3 ½ cups chicken or beef broth

8oz cheddar cheese, shredded

1 cup heavy cream

3-4 Tb all purpose flour

Green onions, chopped for topping

How to:

1.) To the bowl of a 5-6 quart slow cooker, add cooked beef, vegetables, beans, seasonings and broth. Stir gently to combine. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.

2.) When the time is up, stir in shredded cheese. Whisk together flour and heavy cream until smooth. Pour into slow cooker, stir to combine. Cover and continue cooking for an additional 30 minutes.

Serve warm with chopped green onions and tortilla chips.

Read more at: http://www.bakedbyrachel.com/slow-cooker-nacho-soup/

Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!