timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
timon studler BIk2ANMmNz4 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Attainable New Year’s Resolutions 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

As the new year starts to turn into just another year and a new semester begin, it is easy to set high goals for yourself without holding yourself accountable. Too many times we set extremely high goals for ourselves (which is NEVER a bad thing!), but the second we go against our proclaimed resolutions (ate a little too much ice cream, skipped a day at the gym, got Taco Bell), we decide to completely throw the “new year, new me” ideology away. It is currently twenty days into 2018, and I can guarantee so many of us have completely trashed our New Year’s resolutions! Here are some attainable New Year’s resolutions that will have you feeling accomplished! 

1. Make your bed every morning: 

I know many of us have too many repressed memories of being forced to clean our rooms and making our beds when we were kids, and nobody can force us to make our dorm room beds! However, making your bed when you wake up is an easy way to add a little more structure and routine into your morning. Plus, there aren’t many things better than walking into your room and feeling like you really have your life together.  

2. Eat breakfast: 

This part of the average morning is often forgotten by college students. Not only will eating breakfast kickstart your metabolism, but it will fuel your body and brain for your busy day ahead of you! You don’t have to sit down in the caf to commit to this resolution. Just grab a granola bar, a bagel, or a piece of fruit to munch on during your walk to class!  

3. Bundle up this winter: 

It has been a chilly winter across the entire country, and the wind is notorious for drying out your skin. Sure, you may have a super cute outfit on today and want to share it with as many people as possible, but nobody will judge you for throwing a parka and your favorite blanket scarf on top of it. This tiny form of self-care may not last all year long, but you will not regret taking it on as a resolution.  

4. Take the long way to class: 

In a world crazed by fitness and fitspo accounts on Instagram, it can be easy to feel left behind due to a busy schedule. I understand that not all of us have time to go to the gym every morning or go on a daily run, but that doesn’t mean we can’t add a few extra steps to our day! Taking the long way to class may not seem like much, but adding a few extra steps to your day may help you feel just a little more accomplished. Taking the stairs is also a great way to change your normal route to class. Plus, it can help build your leg muscles, and who doesn’t like a few gains?  

5. Spell check your posts: 

Autocorrect has its perks, but it can also completely ruin an awesome caption or a seemingly flawless post. Spell checking your social media can save you the grief of deleting your Tweet and having to repost, or even worse, having your friend point out your grammar faux pas hours after you originally posted it. 

HCXO & Good Luck,

Gina

Gina Johnston

St Vincent '19

"Freedom lies in being bold" - Robert Frost Rugger, vegetarian, future educator
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!