This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

There are so many great movies coming out in 2019, and refreshingly, many of them are led by female characters. Here are just a few of the “girl-powered” flicks coming to the big screen this year. 

Image Credit: BookMyShow

1.On the Basis of Sex 

Out Now

PG-13

Starring Felicity Jones, this movie follows the life of Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg and her inspiring fight to make legal strides against gender-based discrimination in the U.S.

Image Credit: Youtube

2. Miss Bala

Release Date: February 1st

PG-13

Starring Gina Rodriguez of Jane the Virgin, a woman named Gloria finds herself immersed into the dangerous world of drug cartels when she endeavors to rescue her kidnapped friend. Based on the 2012 Spanish-language film by the same name.

Image Credit: Youtube

3. Isn’t It Romantic

Release Date: February 13th

PG-13

Just in time for Valentines Day, Rebel Wilson plays a no-nonsense, hardworking woman in New York City who reluctantly finds herself to be the lead in a romantic comedy following a head injury. Priyanka Chopra Jonas and Liam Hemsworth also star. Hilarity, presumably, ensues.

Image Credit: Screen Rant

4. Captain Marvel

Release Date: March 8th

Not Yet Rated

Brie Larson stars in this new instalment in the Marvel Cinematic Universe as Captain Marvel herself. Set in the 90s, Captain Marvel becomes the world’s strongest superhero in the midst of a war against aliens.

Image Credit: SlashFilm

5. Us

Release Date: March 22nd

Not Yet Rated

Elizabeth Moss and Lupita Nyong’o star in this thriller written and directed by Jordan Peele. A family visiting their vacation home encounter terrifying doppelgängers of themselves. 

Image Credit: Olori Supegal​

6. Little

Release Date: April 12th

Not Yet Rated

Marsai Martin, Issa Rae, and Regina Hall star in this comedy based on an idea pitched by 13-year-old Martin herself. The film follows a woman who transforms into her 13-year-old self when the pressures of adulthood become too much for her. 

Image Credit: Screen Rant

7. Frozen 2

Release Date: November 22nd

Not Yet Rated

Kristen Bell and Idina Menzel return to voice Princess Ana and Queen Elsa in this sequel to Disney’s 2013 blockbuster Frozen.

Image Credit: Vogue

8. Little Women

Release Date: December 25th

Directed by Greta Gerwig (Ladybird) and starring the likes of Saoirse Ronan, Emma Watson, Meryl Streep, and Laura Dern, this remake of the classic Louisa May Alcott novel tells the story of four sisters coming of age in the aftermath of the Civil War.

Happy moviegoing!

HCXO,

Rachel