5 Ways to Make the Most Out of Your Morning (Coffee Not Included)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

1. Always make your bed, the second you get up.

In his speech at the University of Texas in 2014, U.S. Navy Admiral William H. McCraven spoke about how important it is to make your bed each and every morning, as soon as you wake up. “If you make your bed every morning, you will have accomplished your first task of the day, it will give you a small sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task, and another, and another. And by the end of the day one task completed will have turned into many tasks completed”. Plus, it makes your room appear cleaner, and most people perform at higher levels of efficiency in a clean environment.

2. Drink your water, wash your face, and shower.

Maybe I’m trying to kill three birds with one stone here, but it’s been scientifically proven that drinking 16 oz. of ice cold water first thing in the morning not only fires up your metabolism to reduce body fat, but also significantly increases your energy levels for the day. It’s like drinking coffee, but without the crash. Washing your face and taking a shower also help jump start your morning right away, and get you ahead of the game for your day.

3. Plan out your day the night before.

Ask any successful person- the key to productivity is to know what you need to do. It’ll help you stay focused, and waking up with some kind of purpose will motivate you to do your best!

4. Do not keep your phone by your bed.

Not only will you sleep significantly better, but by keeping your phone away from your bed will force you to get up and moving to turn off your alarm! 

5. Eat your breakfast.

As much as we hate to admit it, our moms were right. Eating breakfast is probably one of the most important things you can do for yourself in the morning. It improves concentration, helps you maintain a healthy weight, and gives you the energy to conquer the day. Even if you don’t have the time or resources to put together a 3 course breakfast, stocking up on some microwave ready oatmeal, cereal, or even protein bars. Breakfast can make all the difference in your routine. Plus, it’s been proven that eating breakfast can lead to improved grades!

Sarah Selip

St Vincent

Sarah Selip is a junior at Saint Vincent College with a major in Communications and a minor in Marketing. When not attempting to take the fashion world by storm, in her spare time Sarah is a member of the women's tennis team, blogger, and Starbucks addict. You can usually catch her quoting Legally Blonde, sipping on a caramel macchiatto, or updating one of her thousands of social media accounts. Follow her on Instagram and Twitter, or visit her blog.
Kaura Bassegio is a Saint Vincent College Alumna with a degree in marketing. As founder and former President of the St. Vincent chapter, Kaura worked on pitching ideas, editing, and leading a large team of women. Throughout her years at Saint Vincent, Kaura worked in the retail industry where she received her internship at American Eagle Outfitters. Now that she is a college graduate, Kaura will be focused on family, friends, and most importantly, finding a job! She is interested in fashion and her dream is to live and work in New York City. Follow her on Instagram: kauralbassegio