This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

There are so many female artists these days that bring so much girl power to their work. Beyoncé. Rihanna. Taylor Swift. Lady Gaga. However, there are so many strong female artists out there that aren’t as recognized for their work. Here are five underrated female singer-songwriters that, if you don’t know, you must know immediately. I even shared my favorite songs for each artist!

Kacey Musgraves

Most recently awarded Album of the Year at the Grammys, Kacey Musgraves has become a successful country artist, in the male-dominated genre. Even for those who don’t like country music, her newest album, Golden Hour, has superb songwriting and the songs have been acclaimed by AllMusic as “sharp” and “soul-bearing.” Her debut single “Merry Go ‘Round,” released in 2013, was also named one of the best songs of the year by Rolling Stone.

Best Songs: “Rainbow” and “Oh, What a World”

Image Credit: abcnews.go.com

Brandi Carlile

Carlile came on to the scene in 2005, but has not gotten the recognition she deserves until just this year at the Grammy Awards. Her sixth album, By the Way, I Forgive You, has shot to the top of the charts, and Rolling Stone has referred to it as a “delicate masterpiece.” With relatable and truthful songwriting, and beautiful vocals, Carlile will make you fall in love with the Americana genre.

Best Songs: “The Story” and “The Joke”

Image Credit: npr.org

Joy Williams

Joy Williams has been making music for almost 20 years. However, her biggest success was becoming part of the duo The Civil Wars. Though she has had many achievements as a solo act, she held her own weight in the duo by writing many of the songs on their debut album, Barton Hollow. With a folk sound, the duo dominated the Grammys in that same year. When the duo broke apart in 2014, Williams went on to continue her successful career as a soloist making an “intimate and deeply moving” album, according to The Boston Globe.

Best Songs: “Sweet Love of Mine” and “Poison & Wine” (The Civil Wars)

Image Credit: npr.org

Kina Grannis

Mostly known for her Living Room Sessions and her YouTube videos, Grannis is a powerful vocalist that not only covers famous songs with a twist, but also writes and performs her own music. An active philanthropist in cancer research, Grannis has become a massive success with over 100 million streams on Spotify. Most recently she was seen in the uber-popular Crazy Rich Asians performing her cover of “Can’t Help Falling in Love.” Her acoustic-type music will capture and melt your heart for sure.

Best Songs: “Iris” and “Valentine”

Image Credit: multiracialmedia.com

Jill Andrews

If you haven’t heard of this name before, get to know it. Andrews music is an acoustic alternative form of pure bliss, heartbreak, and all the emotions in between. And not to mention, she brings a lot of girl power to the table. Before going solo, she founded the band she was a part of; she also has produced and written her own music. Though she hasn’t won many awards and hasn’t become as popular as some of the other artists on this list, you will find the music so relatable and genuine with her delicate voice and breathtaking songwriting and melodies.

Best Songs: “These Words” and “Can’t Be Love”

Image Credit: pastemagazine.com

All these women in music are power houses and forces to be reckoned with. They are re-shaping the genres of music as we speak and deserve the recognition for their hard work. If you haven’t heard of them before, go pick up your headphones and listen right now!

HCXO,

Alison

Alison Boyer

St Vincent '19

Hi, I'm Alison! I am a senior majoring in Integrated Science and minoring in Public Health at Saint Vincent College. I am a theater geek who loves to travel and go on adventures, especially to New York City. In my spare time, you can find me belting Broadway showtunes, dancing around to music from Taylor Swift, or binge-watching my favorite TV shows!