This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

It’s about that time of the year where the stress levels are reaching an all-time high. You don’t think your life can get any busier, but graduate school applications are just around the corner. For some schools, they are closer than you think.

But don’t stress out! Trust me it gets you nowhere. I just went through this process of applying to graduate schools, and it wasn’t as bad as I thought it would be. Whether you are applying this fall, or within the next couple of years, here are five helpful tips to keep in mind when applying:

1. Start Early!

I cannot stress this statement enough. I know it sounds cliché and everyone tells you to start things early and not to procrastinate, but it’s true. I started some of the very long applications in the summer and still was busy with them during the beginning of this school year. If you can, finish as much as possible early, before you are flooded with other things, like schoolwork. Some schools even have earlier dates when you can submit your application, so you might even receive an answer back earlier than expected!

Image Credit: Iconfinder.com

2. Make Your Personal Statement Interesting

The personal statement is where you can discuss what makes you, you. Make it compelling and something that someone wants to read. When I started mine, I thought my life was boring, but it turns out there is always something you can draw from your life to write about. For example, since I was applying to physician assistant school, they asked me to answer why I wanted to be a physician assistant. I ended up discussing health problems I had as a child and, in the end, it didn’t sound boring at all!

3. Choose Great References

Choose people who know you well enough to draw on your accomplishments. If you have only had a professor for a few weeks, chances are they don’t know you well enough yet to know your life and what you excel at. For my application, I had to have at least one work reference and one academic reference. I have two jobs, but one of my bosses knows me better than the other, so I obviously chose the one that knew me longer because he knows my achievements and my weaknesses.

4. Follow the Directions on the Application

This one sounds like a no-brainer, but you wouldn’t believe how many people send the wrong test scores or write their personal statement over the word count. If you are applying to a school that uses a common application, chances are, there is a detailed direction sheet that will clearly lay out what you need to do. For the schools I applied to, there was a common application for PA schools called the CASPA. Their site had directions for every single section and really helped display what I needed to fill out and how it needed to be filled out. Each school has a clear instruction sheet, but if you can’t find it, ask them!

Image Credit: du.edu

5. Contact the School

Like in the last tip, if you find something confusing or have any type of question, contact the admissions department of the school. They are there to help you, that is their job. If you reach out to them, they are more likely to remember you when it comes time to choosing the applicants. When you ask questions and show interest in their program your name may stick out in their minds. I had to contact one of the schools I was applying to because one of the pieces of the application was unclear, and they immediately contacted me back the same day. They do listen!

Bonus Tip: Be Confident!

If you’re applying to graduate school, you know what you want at this stage in the game. Go for it! Schools look for people with a clear vision of what they want in life, so don’t be unenthusiastic. If you don’t show a lot of interest, whether in the application or the interview, schools won’t take you seriously. Take an active role and make sure schools know you are a perfect fit for them.

Hopefully these tips help you in your future endeavors in graduate school applications! Good luck! You got this!

HCXO,

Alison

Alison Boyer

St Vincent '19

Hi, I'm Alison! I am a senior majoring in Integrated Science and minoring in Public Health at Saint Vincent College. I am a theater geek who loves to travel and go on adventures, especially to New York City. In my spare time, you can find me belting Broadway showtunes, dancing around to music from Taylor Swift, or binge-watching my favorite TV shows!