5 Things to Do in Pittsburgh that Won’t Break the Bank

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Pittsburgh has a lot of things going for it. It’s the home of three professional sports teams, a booming theater district, and some wonderful people. But for someone on a tight budget, finding something cost-effective to do Downtown can be daunting. So, if you’re interested in taking a trip to the ‘Burgh, here’s a list of five things to do that won’t cost you an arm and a leg!

Mount Washington

With some of the best views of the city, Mount Washington is perfect place to snap some pics with your friends and see what the Steel City has to offer. It’s also just as beautiful at night with the lights from the stadiums and buildings reflected on the river.

The Strip District

Perhaps my favorite place on this list, the Strip District has something for everyone. There are a ton of different stores for all kinds of interests. Take a walk around Pennsylvania Macaroni Co. and check out the cheese counter, stop by Wholey’s and look at the fish tanks, and if you’re hungry, stop at Sunseri’s and grab a meatball sub.

IMAGE CREDIT: madeinpgh.com

Mattress Factory

The Mattress Factory is one of the trendiest spots in Pittsburgh. It has some really unique exhibits that provide some amazing photo ops. On top of that, some of the exhibits change, meaning that no two visits are ever the same.

IMAGE CREDIT: pennlive.com

The Incline

The Incline is an excellent example of the city’s roots still having a hold on the modern city. When the city was still a center for steel production, the inclines were used to transport people, materials, and even horses from the city up the hill. Now, it transports people up the hill to catch some of the best views in Pittsburgh.

IMAGE CREDIT: pittsburghbeautiful.com

THE FOOD

Pittsburgh has some really wonderful food. The city used to be a place where German, Italian, and Polish immigrants settled to work, and the evidence is demonstrated some of the local restaurants and festivals. On top of that, Pittsburgh is home to the Primanti Sandwich, which adds coleslaw and French fries to a pastrami sandwich, a wholly unique recipe characteristic of the Steel City.

IMAGE CREDIT: primantibros.com

HCXO,

Johanna