5 Dorm-Room Friendly Plants

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

I have a confession to make. I am obsessed with plants. But, unlike my mom, I do not have the greenest thumb. My plants like to die on me when I have them in my dorm room. I’m great with gardening, but once they’re in my dorm room, they are no more. So, I had to stop trying to grow basil in an environment where it gets little light (and a little shortage in water too. Oops). But I still have many plants in my room. These plants can survive the harsh environment of a dorm room, even thrive on it.

1. Aloe Vera

I love my little aloe. Aloe Vera plants are cool because they need so little watering. In fact, the biggest killer of many of the plants on this list are overwatering. This makes it great for having in a dorm room, where you can have as little maintenance as possible. Aloe’s roots should be completely dry between watering. This means it can be watered as little as every two-three weeks.

Image Credit: Plants4Presents

2. Snake Plant

I’ve never had a snake plant of my own, but I have heard that they are one of the most low-maintenance and adaptable plants ever. The snake plant is native to West Africa, and it thrives indoors. It can be in high, medium, or low light, and has low water needs. Added bonus? It purifies the air while making your dorm room look adorable.

Image Credit: The Still 

3. Cactus

Of course, cacti are on this list. Cacti thrive in warm and sunny environments. Having it on your window sill can be its perfect little home. Just be careful in winter months, as the window sill can get a little cold. It has extremely low water needs and one of the easiest plants to grow. It’s basically hands off, so you can find a cute pot, plant it, and add water every couple of weeks.

Image Credit: Salka Gift Shop

4. Air Plants

Air plants, or tillandsia, have over 650 different types. Air plants grow without soil and only need to be misted with water about once a week. They’re almost impossible to kill. They are also a great space saver if you do not have a lot of room in your dorm. Air plants come in all sizes and colors. Air plants love warm weather, but should be protected from full sun, so a place right at your window sill may be a bad idea.

Image Credit: CTSairplants – Etsy

5. Succulents

I think almost every college student knows about succulents. Although they are not the easiest to grow, they are an incredibly cute decoration in your dorm room. Succulents should receive as much light as possible. If your succulents are stretching out their leaves, they are not receiving enough light. Succulents are a little more difficult with watering. They like to have their roots soaked with water but once the roots dry out, water the soil again a few days later. Do NOT water your succulent every day. That’s a sure way to kill them. You should also be aware that succulents go through dormant periods in the winter where they need less water. If you can get these tricks down, your succulent can thrive even in your dorm room.

Image Credit: PulpaKaktus

HCXO,

Norina

Hello! My name is Norina Haefelin and I am a psychology and biology student at Saint Vincent College. I love adventures, travelling, and trying new and exotic foods. In my spare time, I like photography and art, cooking, and hiking. Though I am new to Her Campus, I am so excited to be a part of this wonderful community!
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!