This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Eating health and still getting delicious tasting food can be hard in college. With a minimum wage budget and like no free time in your schedule, your diet can often take a beating. But your nutrition is so important, especially in college. Food and nutrition are related with mood and well-being. There have been studies that show that your stomach and brain are so interconnected that anxiety and depression can be improved by what you eat. It is especially important to get your fiber and vitamins from your food, as well as protein for energy. It’s so much quicker to just make some ramen or grab some fast food, and often times cheaper than eating healthy (umm, hello, I still eat ramen when I don’t want to make any food). But eating healthy and good on a budget are not mutually exclusive. Listed ahead are my five favorite 5-ingredient recipes (not including salt and pepper) that you can make on a college budget. 

#1. Creamy Avocado Toast 

Prep/Cook time: 2 minutes 

Ingredients: 

* 2 slices whole wheat bread 

* 2 tablespoons cream cheese 

* 1 small avocado 

* 1 tomato 

* Sea salt + black pepper 

1. First, toast the bread in a toaster oven. 

2. Then, top each slice with 1 tablespoon of cream cheese, avocado, and tomato slices. Season with salt and pepper. 

#2. Chicken Salad Wrap 

Prep/Cook time: 5 minutes 

Ingredients: 

* 2 cups diced cooked chicken 

* 2 flour tortillas 

* ¼ cup mayonnaise 

* 1 stalk celery, diced 

* ¼ cup dried cranberries 

* Sea salt + black pepper 

1. In a small mixing bowl, combine the chicke, cranberries, celery, and mayonnaise, as well as a sprinkle of salt and pepper 

2. Divide the mixture between two tortillas and place the mixture in the center of each. Fold, and enjoy! 

#3. Hoisin Ginger Stir Fry (Vegan) 

Prep/Cook time: 10 – 20 minutes 

Ingredients: 

* 1 package extra-firm tofu, halved horizontally 

* 4 cups assorted vegetables (such as broccoli, carrots, snap peas, etc.) 

* 1 tablespoon minced ginger 

* ¼ cup hoisin sauce 

* 2 tablespoons olive oil 

1. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil over medium-high heat. Sear the tofu for 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a cutting board and slice into cubes. 

2. Add the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil to the pan, sauté the vegetables until they begin to soften, about 10 minutes. 

3. Add the ginger to the pan and cook for approximately 30 seconds. 

4. Add the sliced tofu into the pan. Add the hoisin sauce and toss the veggies and tofu to gently coat them in sauce. 

#4. Chicken Soup (Noodle Optional) 

Prep/Cook time: 5 + 10 minutes 

Ingredients: 

* 1 carrot, diced 

* 1 celery, diced 

* 2 garlic cloves, minced 

* 4 cups chicken broth 

* 2 cups shredded cooked chicken 

* Sea salt + black pepper 

1. In a small pot, heat some oil over medium heat. Cook the carrot and celery until they begin to soften. Add the garlic. 

2. Pour in the chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Stir in the cooked chicken and cook for another 2 minutes until the chicken is warm and the vegetables tender 

3. Season with salt and pepper. 

#5. Steak Fajitas (serves 4) 

Prep/Cook time: 5 + 15 minutes 

Ingredients: 

* 1 pound skirt steak 

* 12 corn tortillas, warmed 

* 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced 

* 3 bell peppers 

* 2 tablespoons oil 

* Sea salt + black pepper (and some chili powder if you like it spicy) 

1. In a large skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in medium-high heat. Season the steak with salt and pepper. Sear each side for 3-5 minutes to get a medium-rare sear. Transfer to a cutting board and allow to cool for 5 minutes 

2. Add the onion and peppers to the pan and sauté for 5 minutes until slightly tender. 

3. Slice the beef and add it back to the skillet. Add some chili powder if you like some spice. Cook for about 1 minute. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. 

4. Serve with warmed tortillas. 

So there you have it, five 5-ingredient recipes that you can make if you have an extra 2 minutes or if you have an extra 30 minutes to spare. With simple and healthy ingredients, each meal will be quick, delicious, and full of nutrients. 

If you enjoyed these recipes, check out “The 5 ingredient College Cookbook” by Pamela Ellgen for more healthy recipe ideas. 

HCXO and bon appétit! 

Norina

Hello! My name is Norina Haefelin and I am a psychology and biology student at Saint Vincent College. I love adventures, travelling, and trying new and exotic foods. In my spare time, I like photography and art, cooking, and hiking. Though I am new to Her Campus, I am so excited to be a part of this wonderful community!