13 Reasons to Watch “Thirteen Reasons Why”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

13 Reasons Why You Should Watch “Thirteen Reasons Why”

“Thirteen Reasons Why” has recently taken the Netflix world by storm. A show about a girl named Hannah Baker who recently committed suicide but left behind something mysterious- thirteen tapes detailing every reason why she killed herself. We follow Clay Jensen as he listens to the tapes, and tries to get to the bottom of her death. “Thirteen Reasons Why” teaches us about love, lust, heartbreak, and problems teens everywhere are dealing with every day. Here’s 13 reasons why you should start binge watching:

1) It’s perfect for binge-watching

With only 13 episodes in the season, this is a perfect show to watch this weekend or whenever you have free time in between your classes! It’s not hard to get hooked on this show, and before you know it, you’ll be through the tapes. Just make sure to have some tissues handy before you start watching.

2) There’s actually 2 storylines

Not only do you get to experience Hannah Baker’s story through the tapes, but you also get to follow Clay Jensen. His reaction to the tapes is equally as exciting and heart-wrenching as the tapes themselves. Not to mention, you get to see Clay interact with people he hasn’t talked to since Hannah was alive. Very intriguing.

3) Two words: Dylan Minette

And Christian Navarro. And Devin Druid. And all the other really cute actors in the series. There’s definitely a fair share of hot, but really talented actors in the show. If the plot doesn’t keep you watching, they sure will.

4) Selena Gomez is actually the reason this show exists

After she read the books, Selena went to the production company asking for it to be put on the screen. She was originally set to play Hannah Baker, but stepped down because her face was “too recognizable”. She wanted the show to be known for its message, not because of the famous people in it.

5) This show will break you- in the best way possible

This isn’t an easy show to watch-and that’s okay. A few times, I couldn’t bring myself to watch what was happening on screen. The show’s message comes across loud and clear: Sometimes, you don’t know what’s going on in someone’s life no matter how much you think you do.

6) There are a lot of heartwarming moments, too

To offset all the hard to watch scenes, the creators were sure to include a lot of humor and scenes sure to warm your heart. Although it is sure not to overshadow the show’s message, there are plenty of jokes and ways they make you laugh.

7) It channels a different take on technology

Nowadays, if someone needs to record something, they’ll more than likely use voice memos or write it down in the notes section of their phone. Hannah Baker does not follow this trend. She leaves her tapes behind on exactly that- actual tapes. While most kids watching the show probably don’t have a clue what a Walkman even is, or how to use it, it’s interesting to see this “old age” technology being utilized.

8) Katherine Langford shines

Katherine is an up and coming actress with this being her breakout role. She does so well with Hannah Baker! This was not an easy role to portray, but she nails it.

9) The soundtrack is literally music to your ears

The music in “13 Reasons” is amazing. It features Joy Division, Lord Duran, and more electronic music. Usually I’m not a huge fan, but I find myself Shazam-ing the songs A LOT. I’m talking at least two or three an episode!

10) There’s going to be a second season

The directors are very hopeful for a second season due to the first season’s immediate success. Plus, a lot of people don’t find the ending of the first season satisfactory, so it’s only fair to give the people what they want.

11)Teenagers are actually played by teenagers

We all remember Jason Earl from Hannah Montana- he was 23 playing a teenager. Thankfully, this show doesn’t have anyone like that. The characters in the show are actually played by actors their age, which is why the acting has such high marks.

12) It demonstrates that everyone has a story

Even though the main plot is Hannah Baker and her tapes, each tape is a different story is associated with a different person. It shows that people have their own experiences with someone and might have a relationship people have no clue exists.

13) The message, the message, the message

Obviously, this show touches on some tough subjects. The main message here is that everything you say matters. You need to think twice before saying something rude, even if it is meant as a joke. Things could be going on in people’s lives that you have no idea about, so always just be kind. As Clay says in the final episode, “It has to get better. The way we treat each other, and look out for each other. It has to get better somehow.”

If you or anyone you know is struggling with thoughts of suicide or any kind of emotional crisis, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline: 1-800-273-8255.

Freshman Communication major at Saint Vincent College Currently working in Events and dreaming of a job working for the Pittsburgh Pirates
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!