12 Times Your Mom Was Right After All

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Mothers really do know best. It might’ve been hard for us to admit that, but the older we get the more we appreciate how wise our moms have always been. Growing up, it was too easy for us to brush off some of the advice she gave because we wanted to be independent and make decisions for ourselves. But, now it’s time to admit that it was our moms who knew the best solution all along. Here’s just 12 examples of things that moms happen to be insanely right about.

1. When she told you not to grow up too fast.

Yep, your mom called it that you were gonna grow up and miss the simpler times in life. She’s been there and done that, so she knows that the older you get, the more sh*t gets real. (Plus, you’re her little girl, she wants to preserve your youth as long as she can – so don’t wish it away!)

2. When she warned you that your “friend” really wasn’t your friend.

I don’t know how moms do it, but they can spot fake friends immediately. Moms have a keen eye for picking out bad influences and know exactly what your friend’s intentions are wayyy before you realize it for yourself.

3. When she told you NOT to take that boy back after he broke your heart.

!!!!! She warned us time and time again about him. We may have listened or maybe we gave him that undeserved second chance. Regardless, moms just KNOW. They can spot unworthy guys from miles away. Moms wants the best for us and to see us happy, so it would be great if we just took her advice the first time. But, yeahhh it doesn’t always work out that way. Sorry, moms, but we definitely feel you now!   

4. When she stressed the importance of academics.

You may have been annoyed by your mom always nagging you to stay on top of your studies, but you know that she had good reason. Moms know how crucial academics are and they strive to keep us on track. All of her badgering paid off because now, the only person to motivate you to study is yourself – and you can still hear her voice in the back of your head encouraging you to get that A!

5. When she told you that the best times of your life are still to come.

Yeah, okay moms you’re right … again! Senior prom (AKA the ‘best night of your life’) likely wasn’t all it was cracked up to be, and she knew this. Better times are always ahead no matter how much we anticipate something that seems to be a huge deal at the time. Moms love to have us keep an optimistic outlook on life; which is a great philosophy that we really should take into more consideration.

6. When she seemed too strict with you growing up, but it ended up being for the best.

Moms are strict because they love us and want to keep us safe. Being protective isn’t a bad thing considering that the way we were raised has the most profound impact on the people we’ve become. Growing up in a house with rules sets us up to know right from wrong, and there’s definitely nothing wrong with that.

7. When she suggested that you save your money because you really don’t need another pair of shoes.

If we believed her on this one, we may not have to shield our eyes when checking the mobile banking app. Moms are right when they urge us to not blow our money on silly things and we even know this to be true, but will we listen? Depends on how cute the shoes are! ;)

8. When she told you to love yourself the way you are.

Your mom just wishes that you could see yourself the way that she sees you. In the eyes of a mother, her daughter is her pride and joy; the most beautiful girl inside and out. All she wants is for you to be happy in your own skin and to have the confidence to put yourself out there. That all begins with self-love and moms work every day to instill this. Even if you still refuse to believe it, take her word for it – you’re awesome!

9. When she nagged you to get off your phone.

She’s not trying to be rude, she just wants to spend time with you! When moms pester us to get off our phones, its for a good reason. She knows that one day we’ll look back and regret all of the time we’ve spent on electronics when the ones we love are right behind the screen.

10. When she said you would miss home once going to college.

Regardless of how quickly you packed your car to get the heck out of your hometown, you’ll still miss the comfort of your own home; the freshly cooked meals, your pets, your BED, and being right down the hall from your momma. Yep, she called that one too!

11. When she told you she was cool.

My mom? Cool? Actually, yes. Moms are way cooler than we give them credit for. They haven’t always been moms, once they were our age ya know. I’m sure your mom has some surprisingly crazy stories from “back in the day” and that you two have a lot more in common than you think! I denied that my mom was cool for the longest time until I realized no one else’s mom could rap (and perform) every NWA and Run DMC song out there.

12. When she said you’d thank her some day.

And for me, that day is today. I was inspired to write this because it happens to be my mom’s birthday. She loves reading my articles, so I figured this would be a nice lil surprise. I thank my mom a lot, but definitely not as much as she deserves. So thank you, Mom; for being my rock and my lifelong best friend. You’ve always been the person that I can count on most to be there no matter what. You inspire me to dream big and do great things with my life because I want nothing more than to make you proud and repay you for all of the sacrifices you’ve made for me. So, yes – this is me admitting that you’ve been right all along! You knew it too, so I’m prepared for the “I told you so.”

One thing about my mom is that she loves to make others happy. She’s the most selfless person and I know it would make her birthday something special if she knew someone else showed their mom a little extra love today, too. So, if you related to this article, share it on social media and tag your mom! Let her know how much she’s loved and that you can admit that she was right after all.

HCXO and Happy Birthday, Mom!

Ash