samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
samantha gades BlIhVfXbi9s unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Work Hard, Play Harder.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Upon entering college, I was assigned a work-study position in the cafeteria. Not surprisingly, I refused the position. At that point in my life, I was fresh out of high school and focused on being a social butterfly.  Serving burgers in the Caf would have been “social suicide” (almost as embarrassing as joining the Mathletes). When second semester rolled around my mom realized I wasn’t filling my work-study quota and she forced me to sign up for shifts in the cafeteria. Needless to say, I hated the job, but it made Mom happy so I scooped eggs with a smile on my face.

I worked average restaurant and on-campus jobs here and there throughout college, attempting to make a bit of money just to satisfy my parents’ desire for me to learn “the value of a hard-earned dollar.” Yet, I was never invested in my work. Even during my summer employment as a camp counselor in Colorado – the first job that I ever truly enjoyed – I didn’t grasp the concept of budgeting and saving money for a purpose beyond the day-to-day expenses. Sure, I loved my “job,” but I wasn’t saving for anything in particular, nor was I working towards a specific goal. 

Senior year began and along with that came two new jobs and an entirely fresh perspective on working with intention. I currently have two jobs: my Peer Advisor position at the Piper Center and a cashier position at Hogan Brothers in Northfield. I’ve come to realize that I love my jobs for entirely separate reasons. Being a Peer Advisor challenges me: it teaches me how to effectively communicate with my peers and supervisors, how to use my resources at St. Olaf and how to be a professional individual. I’m interested and invested in my work, thus I enjoy the time that I spend in the Piper Center and I hardly feel like I am working at all. On the other hand, my time spent at Hogan Brothers is not quite as taxing mentally, but still pushes me. I have to be an effective listener, have unyielding patience and continuously serve others. Working a Saturday lunch shift can be chaotic and stressful, but the tip money makes every hectic moment worth it. Hogan Brothers is rewarding because I know I am earning my pay, and that I will be putting that hard-earned cash toward my post-graduation plans. 

In hindsight, I wish I had begun working with intention sooner. I feel a sense of pride that I have never experienced in the past because I know I am contributing to my education and my future plans. As an Ole, I know as well as the next student that life on the Hill can be stressful. We all have four midterms to study for, sports or music to practice (maybe both), three baskets of month-old laundry to wash, twelve meetings to attend on any given afternoon and six episodes of Orange is the New Black to binge-watch on Netflix. Maybe it seems like you don’t have time for a job right now, but could you make time? Don’t wait until your senior year to earn the money that is going to allow you to do what you love! Save up for that plane ticket to spend Spring break in Mexico with your best friends or for the new iPhone 6. Contribute to your education. Whatever it is, start saving now. There’s no better time than the present. And, for goodness sake, stop letting your parents pay for your every desire! You’re an adult now, so I encourage you to embrace this new found responsibility and act like one. Make your parents proud! But more importantly, make yourself proud. Repeat after me, Oles: Work hard, play harder. Um Yah Yah!