Thanksgiving Traditions: The Inside Scoop

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Now that we have past the events of what one might call ‘Halloweekend,’ it’s time to focus on what’s important: The consumption of an absurd amount of food. Thanksgiving is a time to give thanks for what is dear to our hearts, but can also be taken as an opportunity to stuff our faces until we burst. Having talked to various students around campus, I have the inside scoop on your fellow Oles’ own Thanksgiving experiences. So listen to their stories, have a laugh, and think about starting a new tradition that can make this year’s Thanksiving Day one to remember!

“Every year my family and I search for the wishbone in the turkey. Whoever finds it first gets to choose someone to break it with them, and the person who comes away with the bigger piece gets the highly coveted ‘Thanksgiving day wish’.” –M.C.

“Laser tagging with the fam after Thanksgiving dinner…that’s where it’s at! Just try to avoid puking” -K.F.

“After my family and I finish our Thanksgiving Day meal, it’s on with the Christmas music! Easily my favorite part” -A.L.

“My family is all about the go big or go home notion. Every year we begin our Black Friday shopping around 2 a.m., and keep on going well into the next day. You will never miss my family in the crowd…they’re the ones dressed in bike helmets and elbow pads to avoid potential Black Friday ‘injuries’.” -B.M.

“Right before my family sits down to eat, we gather in a circle, hold hands, and say what we are thankful for. My family can get quite sentimental, so I have yet to stop myself from tearing up!” -K.S.

“If we are lucky enough to get snow on Thanksgiving, my family and I will all put on pajamas and run outside to make snow angels! My outfit of choice is always footy pajamas, of course.”  -M.S.

“My family and I go to an apple orchard each year. My mom owns this absolutely ancient apple crank, so we use it to make homemade apple pies.”  -N.M.

“Around thanksgiving time my friends and I will go paintballing or ATVing. I live near Chicago, so after that we’ll spend the day shopping in the city.”-C.K.

“Nebraska football is a big deal for my family. We go to Omaha for Thanksgiving and the day after is always a big Nebraska game that my family goes nuts for!” -G.B.

“Every Thanksgiving we have our annual family football game. It’s a always blast, and everyone really gets into seeing who will be the champions!”-A.W.

Happy Thanksgiving St. Olaf!

Photo credit 1

Photo credit 2

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.