Taylor’s Tunes: The Past Week In Music

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey everyone! It’s been a busy week for all (especially with Halloween on everyone’s mind) so this is going to be a shorter post just highlighting some recent music related news. 

Just yesterday news hit the web of Kim Kardashian filing for divorce from husband Kris Humphries. Apparently she didn’t want to have a “simple life” with Humphries in his home state of Minnesota (ouch) and instead, wanted to remain in L.A. But let’s be honest, did anyone actually think this marriage would work? Anyone? OK good, me neither. Did I mention the marriage only lasted 72 days? Right. You may ask why this is music related. Well it really isn’t except Kim gave the world this gem a while back. Listen and enjoy.

The long anticipated Lou Reed/Metallica collaboration Lulu finally dropped and it seems to be terrible. Personally, I haven’t had a chance to listen yet but here are some review bits from different media outlets: 

“The effect is that of Lou Reed ranting over some Metallica demos that were never intended for human consumption.” -The Quietus 

“Lulu is a complete failure on every tangible and intangible level of its existence.”
-Consequence of Sound

“..listening to the Lou Reed & Metallica record. My jaw is on the ground. You guys!!! ‘Jaw is on the ground’ as in: ‘I can not believe this is a real thing/this is the worst thing I’ve ever heard.'”- Bethany Cosentino (Best Coast)

Better luck next time? 

Finally, Jay-Z and Kanye West kicked off their tour in Atlanta the other night. Unlike Lulu, it was apparently pretty dope. I’ll let you read up on it but I will note that Kanye wore a leather kilt. That’s all. I wasn’t too impressed with Watch The Throne so I’ll leave you with one of Kanye’s better songs. 

That’s all for this week and happy November!

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.