StoPro: Sometimes It’s Who You Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Do I have any interest in being a financial advisor? Not really. However, I did just get off the phone with one. Although I wasn’t interviewing for a job, I was spending my time networking! Yeah, networking – that exciting, maybe a little vague and sometimes flashy word that also sometimes intimidates us. As a student, creating and expanding your network is extremely beneficial and can be a little fun. Think networking isn’t for you? Wrong! It’s not just for future businesspersons or politicians. It’s actually for everyone.

After some thought, I’ve settled on the three big contacts that a college student should have in their network: The Old Friend, The Fresh Lead and The Wildcard. Let’s take a look!

The Old Friend This is the former employer, coworker or family connection that you have known for a while. They are your go-to for advice, they are your #1 fans, and chances are they also have an amazing network. It is important to keep these contacts fresh. Check in every once in a while and see what is new or send them an article relevant to your connection. Don’t be afraid to utilize them. Ask them to connect you with people in the field that you are interested in; they probably know just the person!

The Fresh Lead These are the people you contact when you are exploring new career paths; when you want to learn more about a specific job or company; or when you just want to learn something new. How do you meet these new contacts? Often you meet them at networking events like Ole Biz or Ole Med or through other contacts. Do not be afraid to reach out and ask to meet for coffee, lunch or even a phone call. You would be surprised at how willing people are to talk to students!

The Wildcard I love this category. These are the people that you talk to just because it might be interesting. An “Old Friend” may have introduced you or you may have met at a restaurant, but never discredit a contact! You never know where a conversation with this person might lead, and it never hurts to have a diverse network. Why build a network of people with the same job description when there are so many opportunities and networks out there? That’s  certainly not interesting!