StoPro: Do’s and Don’ts of Networking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Ask any career coach and they’ll all tell you the same thing: the trick to securing a position in our hectic job market is networking. Branden Grimmett, the director of the Piper Center, always says that someone who has successfully networked and established a connection within the company in which he or she is seeking employment has an 80% greater chance of securing an interview with that company. That’s impressive. But in a world of increasing screen-to-screen interaction, how does one effectively network in the real world?

DO’S:

Be bold. Opportunities come to those who are present and engage themselves in their surroundings. Don’t sit in the corner and wait for someone to notice you – start a conversation!

Listen. Professionals were young students just like you at one point in their lives, and they didn’t get where they are today without the guidance of influential and successful people. Take their advice sincerely. Learn from their experiences.

Follow up. Showing interest via email or phone call post-interaction is a huge advantage in the professional world. The people you’re networking with most likely have a lot on their plate and, in all honesty, you’re probably at the bottom of their “to-do” list. Remind them!

Be patient. Good things take time, but they often come to those who wait. You might have to network with five different people before anything comes to fruition and that’s okay.

Have a résumé prepared. If a professional requests to see your résumé, you should be able to present a finalized version of one to them on the spot. Whether this means printing one out to keep with you or downloading one onto your smartphone, it’s smart and useful to have your skills and experience at the ready at all times.

Be authentic. Professionals will connect with people they get along with. Sure, professional skills are necessary but humor and charm will score huge points in any face-to-face interaction. Be yourself and the conversation will flow easily.

DON’TS:

Don’t limit your contacts. Networking requires stepping outside of the box. You won’t find new opportunities by connecting with familiar people. 

Don’t be afraid to ask questions. Questions let the professional know that you are interested and engaged in their company, and they’re also a sign of intelligence! Be inquisitive. The more information you can gather, the better!

Don’t obnoxiously self-promote. You’re more likely to annoy people with this tactic than make lasting connections. Stay down-to-earth.

Don’t you dare forget to follow up. It’s so important, I’m saying it twice.

Don’t let your social networking sites put you to shame. Sites like Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and Tumblr can ruin your professional reputation in an instant if you have unprofessional photos in the public domain. Clean up your act! Or at least keep the less-than-professional activity offline.

Networking is an art, but practice makes perfect! Give it a shot and you’ll be surprised by how natural it can feel after a few tries. Good luck!