StO-Style: Spring Break Suits

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

We made it: Spring Break is finally upon us! In a few short days we will be bidding St. Olaf adieu and jetting off to either warmer locations for a week of fun or home for some much needed relaxation. I happen to be in the latter group, but this week I can’t stop thinking about cute swimsuits for both spring break and this summer!

Yes, I said it: summer. If you thought spring break came up fast, summer will be here even sooner! So even if you aren’t going someplace for Spring Break where you could feasibly swim or lay on the beach, it’s never to early to think about summer swimwear. Target and Victoria’s Secret, two of my favorite places to look for swimsuits, are all stocked and ready with a myriad of styles to fit your taste and body type. In this article, I highlighted some cute and funky suits from a range of stores that are on-trend for this summer. Read on for inspiration!

Floral

Left to right: Floral One–Piece $45 – ae.com, Rose Print Top $45 – tillys.com, Ruffle Bottoms$40 – jcrew.com, Floral Bandeau $16 – hm.com and Matching Bottoms $11 – hm.com, Twist Bandeau $8 – dorothyperkins.com, Watercolor Floral Bottoms $34 – buckle.com, Floral Cut-Out One-Piece $50 – asos.com

Floral print is hot right now and is one of my favorite trends. I love that it’s cute and fresh for spring and mimics all the flowers that will be popping up soon. Rock this print on your whole body with a one-piece suit or a matching bikini. If you want to draw more attention to your chest, wear floral print on top. Want to highlight your fabulous legs? Choose a printed bottom with a complementary solid top. If you’re feeling wild, go for something adventurous like a cut-out one-piece. Just remember to wear your sunscreen with that one, can you say weirdest tan lines ever?

Polka Dots

Left to Right: Ruffle Trim One-Piece $44 – janenorman.co.uk, Twist Bandeau $58 – jcrew.com, “Monica” Bottoms $38 – abercrombie.com, “Drew” Bikini Top $21 – theoutnet.com and Matching Bottoms $35 – theoutnet.com, “Diver’s Cove” Bikini Top $21 – hollisterco.com and Matching Bottoms $17 – hollisterco.com, Keyhole One-Piece $49 – dorothyperkins.com

I love polka dot suits for their retro appeal. To me, there is something about a retro style bathing suit that makes me think of a glamourous 40’s era pin-up girl. Try out this trend with a one piece or a bikini. If you think wearing all polka dots is too cutesy, mix and match your swimwear for a different look. I especially love the retro white and blue top at center, and the keyhole cut-out in the red one-piece.

Aztec and Tribal Prints

Left to Right: Ruffle Bustier Top and Bottoms $220 – shoplesnouvelles.com, Ikat Print One-Piece $140 – theoutnet.com, Bandeau Halter $30 – ae.com and Matching Bottoms $25 – ae.com, Bandeau Bikini $52 – topshop.com, Cut-Out One-Piece $39 – asos.com

Aztec and tribal prints are everywhere lately, and it is only fitting that this trend made its way onto the beach. Many think that they can’t pull off a brightly printed suit without a tan, but as a pale girl who loves sunscreen, I say not true! Anyone can pull off this print with a little confidence. If you do want a glow, go faux and get it from a bottle. I like St. Tropez Bronzing Mousse.

If you’re going somewhere warm for spring break, have fun and be safe! If you’re going home like me, spring break would be a great time to try out some fashion DIY’s to keep yourself busy!

Have a great spring break and stay fashionable St. Olaf!

Katie is a recent graduate (and proud alum - UM YA YA!) of St. Olaf College, a small liberal arts college in Minnesota. A true Minnesota girl through and through, Katie was formerly a fashion blogger and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus St. Olaf College before becoming a contributing writer for the national site. She currently works as a marketing assistant and is interested in further pursuing a career in marketing, PR, journalism, editing...(she has no idea, if you can't tell). Katie is passionate about traveling and wants to stamp up her passport as much as possible. Katie enjoys social media, blogs, Speculoos cookie butter, dressing for success, fashion magazines and extensively quoting pop culture in social situations (especially 30 Rock). Her one party trick is knowing all the words to "Freaks and Geeks" by Childish Gambino.   
Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com