StO-Style: Packing Tips for Interim and Beyond

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hi fashionistas! 

Whew! Finals are done and it is time for a well-deserved break! And soon some of you will be traveling all over the world over Interim! With limited space for your belongings on your trip, you want to make the most of the essentials. To help with this packing process, I have found some tips for packing effectively! 

Keep Destination and Activities in Mind

I am positive that by now you have received a tentative plan of your events and activities for your trip. Be sure to take a good look at this plan. This is a good way to judge what you will be doing on your trip so you can see what you should pack. If you are going to be spending a lot of time out in the hot sun, pack light-weight and light-colored clothing. If you are going to be spending time in the Baltic area, pack appropriately for cooler weather. If know you will be going in and out of theaters, museums, or historical buildings, think to pack layers. Is there a formal event that you will be attending? Pack a dress or skirt! Simply take a glance at your schedule and see what you’ll be doing on your trip so you are prepared and fashionable for all events!

Choose Dual-Purpose & Layering Items

Here is where mixing and matching of items comes in. Pack clothes that you can wear more than once and in multiple ways. Think of items like sundresses, skirts, and pants. These are easy to wear multiple times with other items you’ve packed to create a new look. Wear a sundress with a chambray over it one day, and the same chambray with colored denim another day. This goes for shoes as well. Pack shoes that you think you can wear multiple days that go with multiple outfits. Make sure they are comfortable, too! Pack light sweaters or light outerwear that you can easily throw on if the weather turns dreary. Light outer layers will also be easy to carry around with you throughout the day. Maximize the potential of your suitcase by packing multiple-purpose items and items you can layer. 

As a side note, pay attention to any clothing requirements for your trip. Be aware of what is acceptable and what is not, since some areas of the world are more particular in dress than others. 

Pick a Good Suitcase

Choose a suitcase that is large enough to fit all of your essential items, but not too large that you have trouble hauling it through airports and to hotels. Make the most of the space the suitcase provides, too. Take advantage of outside pockets and inner compartments. Just be wary of where you place any fragile items! Also, make the most of your suitcase by folding items properly! This will also help reduce wrinkles in your clothing. 

Take a peek at this video to get some folding and packing ideas! 

A Few Handy Tips:

• Put jewelry in a hard-shell sunglasses case
  • Wear your heaviest/bulkiest clothing on the plane to save room in your suitcase (and often times, flights are very chilly!)
  • Try rolling your t-shirts and lighter-weight items to maximize space 

I hope I have inspired you to plan out packing for your Interim trip. Enjoy Christmas break and your travels! Even if you are staying on campus this January, you can take advantage of these packing tips when you leave for your next adventure! 

Stay fashionable, Oles! 

Find the inspiration for my post here

Cover Photo, Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3

Kate Roy is a junior, Psychology and Dance double major at St. Olaf College. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus St. Olaf, she enjoys writing, editing, and helping her fellow Oles get their voices heard. Kate is involved in CompanyDance, the modern dance company at St. Olaf. In her free time, Kate loves to spend time with friends, listen to music, browse Her Campus, flip through fashion magazines, and eat chocolate.  Kate is a fashionista and has a passion for all things dealing with fashion. She works at Madewell, and enjoys getting experience in the fashion world. Kate headed the Her Campus St. Olaf College style blog, StO-Style (now Snapshot), for the 2013-2014 school year. She loved this position and hopes to continue her fashion writing in the future. Kate is extrememly excited to share the position of Campus Correspondent for the 2014-2015 school year and expand her involvement with St. Olaf's Her Campus Chapter.