StO-Style: It’s Norwegian Sweater Season!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey Her Campus St. Olaf readers!
My name is Katie, and I’m excited to join the Her Campus St. Olaf team as the new StO–Style writer. Each week I will be writing an article on fashion, trends, affordable style and more. I would love to hear your feedback and your opinions on what you’d like to see in future StO-Style articles!

This week, Christmas Fest is fast approaching – and we all know what that means! Beautiful music, lutefisk in the Caf…and Norwegian Sweaters! Every year, alumni and students alike display their heritage with these cozy knits during Christmas Fest weekend. Not only are these sweaters beautiful, they’ll also keep you warm in the cold winter months. I used to think Norwegian sweaters were dated and frumpy, but changed my mind when I realized all the cute options out there!

(top row, left to right)
Dale of Norway Peace Sweater, $348 – zappos.com, Aerie Snowflake Fair Isle Tunic, $90- ae.com, “Jaden” Sweater, $120- abercrombie.com
(bottom row, left to right)
J. Crew Chunky Knit Fair Isle sweater, $220 – net-a-porter.com, Pattern Pull Over Sweater, $27 – wetseal.com, Blue Patterned Jumper, $39- hm.com

Bonafide Norwegian sweaters are spendy, like the Dale of Norway Peace sweater, but there are many cheaper options that look like the real thing. Another great option for finding a Norwegian sweater is your local Savers, Ragstock, or consignment store. I was in my hometown Ragstock looking for an ugly Christmas sweater for holiday parties and stumbled upon a beautiful Hanna Andersson sweater for only $8! It may take some searching, but checking into consignment stores just might pay off!

After you get your hands on a Norwegian sweater you may be wondering, what exactly am I supposed to wear with this so I don’t resemble a 60-something alumnus?

Look #1

Dale of Norway Peace Sweater, $348 – zappos.com, Skinny Black Corduroy Jeans, $20 – macys.com, Knee-high Boots, $99 – piperlime.gap.com, Bag, $22 – jcpenney.com, Earrings, $48 – katespade.com

In order to look fashionable instead of frumpy, pair your Norwegian sweater with skinny cords. Corduroy is hot right now and the skinny fit will balance the bulk of the sweater. Add a pair of classic tall leather boots, a winter–ready purse (it’s trimmed with shearling AND it’s on sale!) and a pair of cute studs, and you’re ready to go!

Look #2

Aerie Snowflake Fair Isle Tunic, $90 – ae.com, Opaque Tights, $18 – freepeople.com
Skirt, $20 – hm.com, Boots,$80 – zappos.com, Florence Petal Cluster Earrings, $29.95 – sendthetrend.com
For a more dressy look, pair your sweater with a skirt and a cozy pair of tights. Add a pair of slouchy short boots and statement earrings, and you’re ready for Christmas Fest!

So what do you think? Would you wear a Norwegian sweater? How would you style yours?
Have a great week back from Thanksgiving break and good luck to all those participating in Christmas Fest! Break out those sweaters and stay fashionable, St. Olaf!

*Images/style boards from http://www.polyvore.com/

Katie is a recent graduate (and proud alum - UM YA YA!) of St. Olaf College, a small liberal arts college in Minnesota. A true Minnesota girl through and through, Katie was formerly a fashion blogger and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus St. Olaf College before becoming a contributing writer for the national site. She currently works as a marketing assistant and is interested in further pursuing a career in marketing, PR, journalism, editing...(she has no idea, if you can't tell). Katie is passionate about traveling and wants to stamp up her passport as much as possible. Katie enjoys social media, blogs, Speculoos cookie butter, dressing for success, fashion magazines and extensively quoting pop culture in social situations (especially 30 Rock). Her one party trick is knowing all the words to "Freaks and Geeks" by Childish Gambino.   
Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com