StO-Style: Graduation Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

I don’t know about you, but for me this year has absolutely flown by. It feels like just yesterday I was reuniting with my friends, moving into my dorm room, and going to the first Pause dance of the year. While it is bittersweet that the school year is ending, I am more excited for summer than anything else. I am way overdue for some R&R!

For some of you, the ending of this year marks the end of your time at St. Olaf and the start of a brand new adventure. If you happen to be graduating this May, this outfit post is for you! I put together a few outfit ideas for commencement that can also easily function as work outfits (eep!). Read on for inspiration!

Outfit #1: Suited Up

Blazer $110 – topshop.com, Blouse $91 – welikefashion.com, Trousers $90 – reissonline.com, Flats $273 – forzieri.com, Watch $250 – bloomingdales.com, Stud Earrings $155 – neimanmarcus.com

For a polished look at commencement, pair a blazer with a pretty printed blouse and basic trousers. Rose gold accents bring out the pink tones in the blazer while flattering any skin tone. This outfit would also be perfect for any office, as it is stylish and professional at the same time.

Outfit #2: Flouncy Floral

Top $45 – dorothyperkins.com, Skirt $49 – calypsostbarth.com, Earrings $5 – wallis.co.uk, Bangles $49 – stelladot.com, Heels $80 – nordstrom.com

For a more casual look, pair a mid-calf flouncy skirt with a pretty floral blouse. Add gold accents and nude heels to elongate your legs. This outfit is perfect if commencement day is hot, as the sleeveless blouse and flowy skirt won’t make you feel constricted. This would also translate well into an office setting, as the skirt is long enough to look professional.

Outfit #3: Pretty Pastels

Dress $115 – oasis-stores.com, Flats $24 – hm.com, Earrings $19 – lipsy.co.uk, Skull Ring $10 – asos.com, Flower Ring $20 – jcpenney.com

I love the idea of springy pastels for graduation – they’re fresh and pretty, and perfect if you want to look more feminine. Pair a pastel dress with pretty scallop flats, and add simple silver jewelry. Don’t be afraid to add a surprise edgy element, like the skull ring: it will add an interesting yet small twist to your outfit! Depending on your office or line of work, this look may not be as appropriate. If that is the case, add a pair of tights and a light cardigan!

While graduation may seem like the end, remember that it is the beginning of a whole new chapter in your life. Be open to new experiences, take risks, be bold, and never forget the friends you made in your four years on the Hill. Best of luck, class of 2012!

Lastly, this is the final StO-Style article until September. I hope you all enjoyed my articles as much as I enjoyed writing them! I can’t wait to blog again for Her Campus St. Olaf in September, where I’ll be chronicling fashion and trends from across the ocean (I’m studying abroad on Term in the Middle East!). I hope to incorporate a mixture of articles about current fashion trends in the U.S. and popular clothing of the countries I’m traveling to. I’m excited for this challenge and all the new experiences that await me, and can’t wait to tell you all about them!

Have a fabulous and safe summer and, as always, stay fashionable St. Olaf!

Katie is a recent graduate (and proud alum - UM YA YA!) of St. Olaf College, a small liberal arts college in Minnesota. A true Minnesota girl through and through, Katie was formerly a fashion blogger and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus St. Olaf College before becoming a contributing writer for the national site. She currently works as a marketing assistant and is interested in further pursuing a career in marketing, PR, journalism, editing...(she has no idea, if you can't tell). Katie is passionate about traveling and wants to stamp up her passport as much as possible. Katie enjoys social media, blogs, Speculoos cookie butter, dressing for success, fashion magazines and extensively quoting pop culture in social situations (especially 30 Rock). Her one party trick is knowing all the words to "Freaks and Geeks" by Childish Gambino.   
Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com