StO-Style: D.I.Y. Halloween Costumes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

As you all know, Halloween is right around the corner! I’m a little saddened by the fact that I won’t be able to participate in all the festivities – creating my own Halloween costume is my favorite part of the holiday. I love heading down to Ragstock and Target to come up with a creative costume as opposed to buying one pre-made. For Halloween my freshman year, my friends and I all dressed as Disney Princesses. I went as Princess Jasmine, complete with a DIY’d bejeweled tank top and scrub pants from Ragstock. There is something so satisfying about having a great costume that you put together yourself!

Keeping the homemade theme in mind, I put together a few Halloween costumes inspired by 2012 pop culture that you can easily recreate from your own closet or your friends’ closets, in the event that you haven’t started thinking about your costume yet. Read on for inspiration and get crackin’!

Katniss Everdeen from The Hunger Games

Jacket: $96 – topshop.com, V-neck Tee: $105 – lagarconne.com, Leggings: $33 – sheinside.com, Sparrow necklace: $5.99 – tillys.com, Boots: $150 – mango.com, Belt: £32 – asos.com, Bracelet: $9.90 – windsorstore.com

The Hunger Gamers was undoubtedly one of the hottest movies of the year, and Katniss Everdeen is one of my favorite female literary characters. For this easy costume, pull out your favorite pair of leggings, a v-neck t-shirt and a pair of boots. A cargo jacket, belt and Hunger Games-themed jewelry round out the look. For finishing touches, French braid your hair and pick up a bow and arrows from a costume shop or Ebay, or get crafty and make your own!

Psy from “Gangnam Style”

Blazer: $47 – sheinside.com, Button-up: $38 – romwe.com, Jeans: $76 – topshop.com, Saddle shoes: $38 – modcloth.com, Bowtie: £75 – flannelsfashion.com, Sunglasses: $12 – ocshades.com

By now, you’ve undoubtedly heard the catchy song “Gangnam Style” by Psy (it has over 500,000,000 views on Youtube, and St. Olaf even did a flashmob to it!). Get in on the craze and channel this quirky singer for Halloween! Whip out a blue blazer, black pants and a white button-up. Add saddles shoes, a bowtie and your favorite sunglasses – simple! Now all you need to do is learn the “Gangnam Style” dance, and you’re ready to go!

The Fab Five from the 2012 London Olympics

Leotard: $28 – americanapparel.net, Track pants: $60 – adidas.com, Track Jacket: $47 – buckle.com, American Flag Patch: ebay.com, Scrunchie: $6 – americanapparel.net, Tennies: $150 – nike.com, Bow Clips: $5.99 – tillys.com, Silver Clips: $15 – shopbop.com, Navy Clips: £1.99 – hm.com

One of my favorite Olympic events to watch is gymnastics, and I was thrilled to see the Fab 5 win the team gold medal. This Halloween costume is especially easy to recreate – just throw on a tracksuit! A leotard underneath would be ideal, but a tighter t-shirt would work just as well. Bright tennies, lots of hair accessories and an American Flag patch are a must. Finish your look by DIY-ing your own Olympic gold medal.

Have a fun and safe Halloween, and stay fashionable, St. Olaf!

Style Boards from Polyvore
Images from Google Images

Katie is a recent graduate (and proud alum - UM YA YA!) of St. Olaf College, a small liberal arts college in Minnesota. A true Minnesota girl through and through, Katie was formerly a fashion blogger and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus St. Olaf College before becoming a contributing writer for the national site. She currently works as a marketing assistant and is interested in further pursuing a career in marketing, PR, journalism, editing...(she has no idea, if you can't tell). Katie is passionate about traveling and wants to stamp up her passport as much as possible. Katie enjoys social media, blogs, Speculoos cookie butter, dressing for success, fashion magazines and extensively quoting pop culture in social situations (especially 30 Rock). Her one party trick is knowing all the words to "Freaks and Geeks" by Childish Gambino.   
Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com