Sharing the Love: Stitches for Peace

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Whether you’re in a relationship or not doesn’t matter when it comes to celebrating Valentine’s Day – a holiday that is really all about sharing love – with friends, family, (dorm) neighbors and your community. While roses, Russel Stover chocolates and teddy bears may all be great gifts to give – especially when heartfeltly gifted–the real present you can offer someone on Valentine’s Day is companionship, support, encouragement and love.

One St. Olaf student organization, Stitches for Peace,  knows the power of love –  the impact a handmade hat or scarf, knitted over time with patience and care, can have on someone. Dedicated to outreach in both the local and global community, Stitches for Peace members meet weekly on Tuesdays at 7 p.m. in the Melby Lounge to knit and crochet individual projects such as hats or mittens, as well as group projects such as blankets. They then donate those items either directly to various charities or sell them to raise money for charity organizations.

Stiches for Peace leaders Rachel Butler ’12  and Josalan Sullivan ’12 took some time away from their knitting to share some fun facts about their club. 
[Photo courtesy of Stiches for Peace.]

Q: What is the purpose of your club?
A: Stitches for Peace is a student volunteer group dedicated to using knitting and crocheting as a means to better the lives of others in the community and around the globe. In addition to our sales on campus, from which 100% of the proceeds go to Heifer International, we have also donated items to local homeless shelters. In the 2011 fall semester, Stitches for Peace received Organization of the Semester recognition for our contribution of over 800 volunteer hours and $850 raised for Heifer through the sale of our knitted items! – Rachel

Q: What makes your club unique?
A:
One of our slogans is “Not Your Grandma’s Knitting Club.” Knitting is not just for grandparents but for everyone! – Rachel

Q: What’s one little know fact about your club?
A:
Our mascot is a llama named Larry. He wears a zig-zag patterned sweater and Ray-Ban sunglasses. He’s a little bit nerd and a little bit hipster, just like a lot of students at St. Olaf! – Rachel
We really like to have a good time! In the past, we have built fires in the Mellby fireplace, sipped on hot chocolate and tea, and watched movies while working on our projects. – Josalan

Q: What was your club’s most recent event/activity before J-term break?
A:
We had two sales this fall, the Ole Artisan’s Bazaar and Christmas Festival. We sold many hats, scarves, and mitten sets, along with a few blankets and plush animals!  – Rachel
We [were] knitting and crocheting as fast as we [could] to prepare enough hats, mittens, scarves, and blankets for our Valentine’s Day Sale. – Josalan

Q: What is the value in your club, for students at St. Olaf?
A:
Under new leadership, in a two year period, group numbers have increased from just three members to 50 regular attendees and a robust email roster of over 200 students. At Stitches for Peace, we strive to make knitting and crocheting a fun and approachable stress reliever for the community. Anyone is welcome, all supplies are provided, and we are more than happy to teach beginners! It is a relaxing to way to unwind after a full day of classes. At Stitches, students from all class years are brought together to raise money for a great cause but also to meet new friends and to trade knitting tips, laughs, and smiles.  – Rachel

*Members will teach anyone interested how to knit or crochet so that they too can participate in the group’s efforts. Materials are provided. Students, faculty and community members are all welcome to join! We are always in need of more donations of yarn, needles, and hooks, that would be fabulous! – Rachel
Donations can be sent to:
Stitches for Peace
c/o Rachel Butler
1500 St. Olaf Ave.
Northfield, MN 55057

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com