People of St. Olaf Zvipo Mutsa Chisango ’20

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Photo courtesy of Zvipo Mutsa Chisango(pictured above)

Year: Sophomore

Major: Chemistry with a Biomolecular Science Concentration

What is your favorite word or phrase?: Awesome sauce

Are you involved in any clubs at St. Olaf?: I’m on the honor council and I’m a sacristan in Boe Chapel (I don’t know if I could really call that a club though ;) )

Where is your favorite place to be?: The chapel at night when it gets really quiet. I think it’s a good way to just kind of sit by myself at the end of the day.

What is your favorite past-time activity?: I just started watching Parks and Recreation! It’s hilarious.

Favorite time of the day: 10:30 at night. That’s when I stop studying on most nights and get to go home and watch an hour of t.v.

Favorite class taken at St. Olaf so far: I’m in a genetics class right now that I love. I’m pretty sure I want to be a geneticist so all the labs feel like a preview of the rest of my life.

Favorite quote: It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die

Context: During my lifetime I have dedicated myself to this struggle of the African people. I have fought against white domination, and I have fought against black domination. I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and     free society in which all persons live together in harmony and with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to achieve. But if needs be, it is an ideal for which I am prepared to die

Explanation: This is my favorite quote because it exemplifies a fearless drive toward the goals and convictions that we have for our lives and the courage to stand by them till the very end.

Your biggest pet-peeve?: People that type too loud.

Favorite activity to do with friends: Just a cup of tea at a coffee shop and some good conversation

Is there anything at St. Olaf that you look forward to pursuing more?: I’d like to join the StoMols club next year when I only have one lab. It’s the biomolecular club on campus.

How has St. Olaf helped you develop your future plans?: Well, first, I love it here!

• This is where I discovered genetics which I’d like to pursue either in a medical/ research context.

• Because we’re so close to the Mayo Clinic (one of the best hospitals in the world) I’ve gotten to visit there and even did research with them in January which was amazing because it was biomolecular research for medical purposes and that’s exactly what I want to do.

• My professors have been amazing with giving me advice on what I should be doing to prepare for my future career. My organic chem teacher was even willing to let me shadow his wife. I feel like it’s not expected of them, but my professors have done everything they can to help me get to where I need to end up. I appreciate them.

What was your favorite childhood snack?: We had these little candy things that were shaped like cigarettes when I was young (shameless tobacco promotion am i right?), they discontinued them I think but they were so good.

What is your go-to procrastination activity?: I’m not proud of myself, but I’ll check my snapchat a billion times before I study

Favorite meal of the day?: Breakfast, I have the same thing every day.

What’s the best thing about Minnesota to you?: The sun. It comes so rarely that I really appreciate it when it does.

What’s your favorite type of humor(witty, dry,etc): Dry followed by an awkward and expectant pause.

What is one piece of technology that you could do without?: I think maybe my phone, but only if I could get all my messages on my laptop (Android needs to make a change)

If you could have one superpower what would it be?: Getting all my homework and assignments done in a timely manner.

Would you rather walk across the U.S. or drive around in the same state?: Drive around in the same state for sure!

Are you a pancake or waffle person?: Please don’t make me choose. If I absolutely must, I think waffle.

Photo courtesy of Zvipo Mutsa Chisango(pictured above)