People of St. Olaf: Grace Nelson ’19

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Photo courtesy of Grace Nelson (pictured above)

Year: Junior (2019)

Major: Nursing

What is your quote?: “But those who wait for the Lord shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings like eagles; they shall run and not be weary; they shall walk and not be faint.” – Isaiah 40:31

What are the top three movies you’ve seen in the past two years?: The Girl on the Train, Passengers, La La Land

Do you have a favorite Disney character? If so, who?: Yes, Cinderella :)

How would you describe life in five words or less?: Overwhelming, beautiful, tragic, mysterious, precious.

Are you involved in any clubs at St. Olaf?: No clubs, but St. Olaf Choir and Holistic Health House.

Do you prefer mental(card games) or physical exercise(ex: running)?: Physical exercise

What is the best thing to do at a bonfire get-together?: Sing songs together or share ghost stories

Where is the best vacation you’ve been on?: Busan, South Korea

What is your favorite thing about the 4th of July? The fireworks, the classic food, warm weather, etc?: Sitting around at a barbeque with friends and family

What is your favorite way to stream a movie? Netflix, Hulu, at a movie theater, etc.?: I love going to the movie theater!

Favorite smell/scent/fragrance?: Vanilla/Lavender/Patchouli

Favorite class taken at St. Olaf so far: Psychopathology (with Veltri!!)

If you could talk to anyone in this moment who would it be?: My grandmother

Is there anything at St. Olaf that you look forward to pursuing more?: I am SO excited for my last year in the nursing program this coming semester. I immensely look forward to developing my love for the field even further and deciding on a specialty for my career!

How has St. Olaf helped you develop your future plans?: The chapel services every Sunday here at St. Olaf have helped me understand my vocation, my dreams, and how to better serve those around me. I so appreciate how the leaders of the church here have grounded me and simultaneously opened my eyes to all my possibilities.

What was your favorite childhood snack?: Ritz crackers with peanut butter and chocolate chips

What is your go-to procrastination activity?: Laundry

What’s the best thing about Minnesota to you?: All the amazing restaurants in Minneapolis

If you could have one superpower what would it be?: To be able to fly

What is your favorite thing to do with your family?: At Christmastime, we all sit around the living room reading books and listening to old records. There are times throughout the spring and summer when I long for peacefulness like that.

Do your prefer group studying inside or outside on a nice day?: Inside, definitely. I can never focus outside!

What is your favorite extracurricular event to attend at St. Olaf?: Yoga classes

Cake or cupcakes?: Can any and all cake be an option?

What is a style, activity, etc that is “out of style,” but you still enjoy?: 90% of the movies I watch and books I read were created before the year 1960.

Is there a word that you can never get the spelling write without googling/using a dictionary for?: Hehe, I see you ^ And yes, it’s “bourgeoisie” (oops)