jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
jakob owens SaO8RBYC0bs unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ole Fit: Stay Strong Through Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

One of the most important things you can do for yourself is to hit the gym this week. It’s finals and, I know, life is insane. To quote Parks and Recreation’s April Ludgate, “I don’t want to do things, I want to not do things.”  Monday was a “knitting and Netflix is looking damn good, but a nice nap is looking even better” kind of day. Everyone is going to reach that point sooner or later now that classes aren’t here to regulate our days. The best way to avoid burning out is to create your own routine interspersed with activities that you’ll actually look forward to. Let us be realistic for just a moment here and acknowledge that calories do count during finals, and tons of caffeine won’t help you rule the world – you’ll just feel dazed and sick. Here are some tips to help you stay healthy and happy during finals!

1. Be aware that you are still only human, and not only is it fun to take a break from studying, but your body actually demands it. The better your body feels, the better you will perform on your exams.

2. Start off by planning ahead. Each night before you go to bed, decide when you will take your break the next day. This will give you something to look forward to while studying, and it will keep you focused on studying until break time comes. I choose to workout in the morning before I start studying because it gives me the motivation to get out of bed when I don’t have classes.

3. Know what your workout will be before you arrive at the gym. Set realistic goals that won’t wear you down for the rest of the day. Plan a workout that will get your heart rate up for at least 20 minutes. This will be enough time for your adrenaline and endorphins to clear your head. Finish your workout with some sit-ups and push-ups for good measure! After sitting unused in the library all day, your body will feel so much better after your workout.

4. Finally, remember to drink lots of water afterwards!

Good Luck everybody!