Ole Entertainment: 6 Disney Channel Original Movies To Watch This Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey Oles! Looking for a way to unwind after a week full of homework and activities? Take a blast from the past and check out one of these iconic Disney Channel Original Movies! (Warning: These films may evoke serious nostalgia.) 

1. The Cheetah Girls 2 (2006)

The first Cheetah Girls movie is great, but the second one takes all of the scheming, romance and catchy tunes and puts it in the context of Barcelona, Spain. What’s not to love about our favorite sassy quartet conquering a new city and capturing the hearts of some cute foreign boys?

2. Smart House (1999)

If you ever watched this growing up, you’ll remember the intense feelings of envy whenever “Pat” the Smart House whipped up smoothies from scratch or dissolved all of the trash leftover from a party into the carpet. If only they made Smart Dorm Rooms!

3. Cadet Kelly (2002)

Arguably one of Hilary Duff’s greatest roles on the silver screen, she stars as a preppy, spontaneous eighth grader who must enroll at a military academy after her mother marries the Commandant. Watching Hilary sling around rifles and army crawl through the mud in her pink cargo pants make this movie endlessly entertaining.

4. Halloweentown (1998)

Halloweentown has become a holiday staple for many, and for good reason. Halloween is fun enough on it’s own – just imagine a town where you get to dress up and eat candy all year long!

5. High School Musical (2006)

Obviously, High School Musical had to make the list. Here’s to all the girls still holding out hopes that their cafeteria will spontaneously break into song and dance, and that the star of the basketball team will fall in love with the academic.

6. Jump In! (2007)

With a super catchy soundtrack (anyone else still get “Push It To The Limit” stuck in your head?!) and some insane double dutch rope routines, this fun flick will make you want to pick up your old jump rope and test out some new tricks.

cover photo, cheetah girls 2, smart house, cadet kelly, halloweentown, hsm, jump in

Lindsey Tucker is a freshman at St. Olaf College, and is the writer for the Ole Entertainment Blog. When she's not scoping out new music tracks or browsing Netflix for the next show to watch, she enjoys playing accordion with The Runestones, whipping up tasty drinks in The Cage and attending the occasional concert.