Nick Hoverstad ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Name: Nick Hoverstad

Year: 2014

Major: English, with a concentration in biomedical studies [He’s pre-med, ladies!]

Relationship Status: Single

Favorite place to study: I’m a ref-roomer [the reference room in the library]. I like the aesthetics of the ref room, and there is definitely a collective feeling of intellectualness. People are getting stuff done. That’s motivating!

Favorite food: I really like tomyum soup, from Thailand. It’s shrimp and lemon grass and veggies and water and it’s all mixed in a really spicey soup into this sort of broth thing. It’s great. [Nick spent last semester abroad on St. Olaf’s Term in Asia, and spent a month in Thailand.]

Favorite movie(s): This is going to be so emasculating. Let’s see. I loved “Lincoln.” That was a phenomenal film. I also really liked “Inception,” that’s a really cool movie, blew my mind. Oh! And the Batman franchise. That’s not so emasculating, is it? Except, well, okay, I’ll admit it. “Titantic” gets me going. I love that movie. Romantic.

Hobbies: I like to play the piano, and I’m in Ole Band [Nick plays the euphonium]. In the summer, when it’s warm, I like to go jogging. And I love water sports, especially jetskiing. My cousin has a jetski!

Describe yourself in one word: Unique. Is that pretentious?

Call or text: Texting is so impersonal. You can’t get the tone of voice. It’s so weird.

What is your ideal date? Pamela McDowell (JUST KIDDING!). Probably dinner and going to jazz club. I love bonding over tunes.

Finish this sentence: A girl looks her best when… she’s natural.

What you want Ole women to know:  I want them to know I respect and support them. I’m all about those women’s rights. Let ‘em have ‘em. But really, you’re all great!

Jessica is a senior at St. Olaf College majoring in English with concentrations in media studies and Middle Eastern studies. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus St. Olaf, she enjoys writing and editing news stories, and encouraging younger Oles to express their skills and talents through writing. She also is an editor for the school's student newspaper, The Manitou Messenger, and a writer for the college's marketing and communications office. In her (limited) free time, she enjoys eating pita and hummus from the Cage, curling up in a Buntrock window seat with a good book, and checking things off her senior bucket list.
Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.