Mmm Ya Ya: The Best Foods for a Sexy You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

So we all know that there are things that turn us on and things that turn us off. For instance, seeing that sexy guy doing bench presses at the gym is a major turn on, while seeing the same guy in a pair of Crocs is a huge turn off. But did you know that what you eat can affect your sex drive as well? Here’s a round-up of the sexxxiest foods you can eat to get your engine revving.

Oysters: These slippery, sexy morsels are high in zinc, which is related to the production of testosterone, aka “the sexytime hormone.” Additionally, research has linked eating oysters to an increase in dopamine production, triggering feel-good responses and sexy feelings in both men and women. Legend even has it that Casanova once was able to seduce a virgin by slipping an oyster from his mouth to hers. To utilize this legendary sex food, your partner and you should take turns feeding each other raw oysters with a squeeze of lemon juice.

Watermelon: This sweet superfruit contains citrulline, a nutrient which the body converts into an amino acid that improves cardiovascular health and blood flow, which is important in the sensitivity and arousal level of your nether regions. Some researchers have gone so far as to consider watermelon the Viagra of foods. So next time you want to set the mood, add a few slices of fresh, sweet, juicy watermelon to the menu!

Avocado: Like oysters, this sexy (and delicious!) food has long been associated with an increased sex drive. The ancient Aztecs called avocado trees “testicle trees,” and not just because of the avocado’s suggestive shape! Spanish priests were even so concerned about the sexiness of the fruit that they forbade their parishioners from eating them. Avocados contain high levels of folic acid, vitamin B6 and potassium, all of which are related to energy and hormone regulation. To fully utilize the benefits of this sexy food, AskMen.com recommends cutting the avocado in half and using your fingers to feed the raw flesh to your partner. Yummy!

Chocolate: When it comes to experiencing the feel-sexy effects of chocolate, the darker the chocolate the better. Scientists have found that cocoa contains phenylethlamine, a chemical which is related to the release to endorphins in the brain. While it has not actually been linked to increased sexual arousal, it is apparent that chocolate can increase feelings of sexual desire, which ultimately leads to the same effect. Enjoy a couple pieces of dark chocolate a day to fully reap the benefits of this antioxidant-loaded sweet, and for special occasions consider investing in some chocolate body paint.

It is important to remember that everything you put into your body has an effect on your mood, attitude and state of being. These foods can help get you feeling sexual, but perhaps more importantly, they can make you happy. Eat what you love, love what you eat, and all that.

Stay sexy, St. Olaf,

H.