Meet Maria Coyne ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

If you’ve ever been to a music event on campus, you’ve probably seen Maria Coyne ’15 perform (but actually). This music performance major’s voice is in high demand, as she has led or been involved in an insane amount of musical ensembles and productions this year. Some highlights include being the vocal director of the Wellness Center’s “B*tch of Living Cabaret,” singing in Cantorei choir, participating in the fall Opera, and being an active member of Agnes A-Capella. 

She also is the St. Olaf Choir’s newest Alto I, after an extensive process of auditions and callbacks. It will be a busy year for her next year, seeing as she will also be one of the new co-leader of Agnes as well! “I wanted to take advantage of all of the study abroad programs that I could before even auditioning for the St. Olaf Choir, but I’m so excited to get the opportunity to be in it now! I’ll miss Cantorei, but this will be a great new experience. I’m also really excited to be the main arranger for Agnes! It’ll be a lot of fun spending time this summer choosing and arranging songs for us to do next year.” 

Along with all of her musical ensembles, she also is a member of St. Olaf’s Music Entertainment Committee (MEC), and enjoys getting to help create and organize all of the events on the Main Stage in the Pause. She said, “next year we’re going to have some awesome events, so get excited!” This southern belle said that her dream job after graduating from Olaf is “to be just like Sara Bareilles!” (who is also her main source of musical inspiration). 

If not in Christiansen hall, Maria can be found singing Frozen songs around campus, making delicious dessert creations in the caf, and kicking it on the elliptical at Tostrud. 

Photos provided by Maria

Kate Roy is a junior, Psychology and Dance double major at St. Olaf College. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus St. Olaf, she enjoys writing, editing, and helping her fellow Oles get their voices heard. Kate is involved in CompanyDance, the modern dance company at St. Olaf. In her free time, Kate loves to spend time with friends, listen to music, browse Her Campus, flip through fashion magazines, and eat chocolate.  Kate is a fashionista and has a passion for all things dealing with fashion. She works at Madewell, and enjoys getting experience in the fashion world. Kate headed the Her Campus St. Olaf College style blog, StO-Style (now Snapshot), for the 2013-2014 school year. She loved this position and hopes to continue her fashion writing in the future. Kate is extrememly excited to share the position of Campus Correspondent for the 2014-2015 school year and expand her involvement with St. Olaf's Her Campus Chapter.