This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

We all know that one guy (audience nods, knowing from that simple statement the exact type of guy to whom I am referring). He begins to speak and your eyes roll permanently back in your head. He tangents about a topic of such simplicity, it is taking all of your power not to shout out, “I KNOW!” You find yourself unable to nod to agree or disagree because there is no space to share your own opinion. His over-elaborated definition of the common-sensical topic feels arbitrary. He is using big words, but is he really saying anything? You catch a glimpse of yourself in the mirror. You and your reflection share a look. ‘At least someone in this world shares your sanity,’ you think. You know what he’s doing. He knows what he’s doing. Even your reflection, who is still rolling her eyes, by the way, knows what he’s doing. Mansplaining.

Definition of Mansplain:

Here is a scenario. Betsy and Jimmy are having a conversation. The day goes on as usual. Betsy goes on as usual. Jimmy goes on as–BOOM. He begins to explain how to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Betsy is a chef. 

How to catch a Mansplainer:

• He begins with one of the said phrases: “Well actually…”, “Think of it this way…”, “The thing is…”, and even “It’s simple logic…”. 

• You feel like a 4-year-old. The amount of patron he’s izing is so large, you begin to feel incredibly small. You’re brought back to the days of preschool when the class was learning how to tie shoes when you had already mastered that skill. “Bunny ear, bunny ear–” “Well, actually…”

• You’d think the gender would cue you off. But Mansplaining is not only limited to men. If the person with whom you are speaking addresses you with a condescending gaze, large, downward hand gestures, and speaks in monologues, then you’ve got yourself a Mansplainer. 

Kailey is from Crystal Lake, IL. She is a first year at St. Olaf College and loves When Harry Met Sally, the color yellow, and chocolate.