Humans of St. Olaf: Rebecca Ferrer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Major: Biology

Class Year: 2018

Favorite caf creation:

Butter and cinnamon sugar on an english muffin. 

Favorite cage order:

All-day coffee and the vegan chocolate chip cookie. 

Favorite St. Olaf memory:

Ole Spring Relief 11. I really enjoyed getting to spend an entire week helping others rebuild their homes. I also got to spend my time with a great group of people, playing cards every night and opening our hearts to each other. I’ve done OSR both my freshmen and sophomore years and both times I have built incredibly genuine friendships. I’m planning to go on the trip again this year, and I am incredibly excited for it!

Favorite picture taken on campus (this can be part of one of your 4-5 photos):

We took this picture at Relay for Life 2015 here at Skog. This was taken seconds before the bouncy house gave in and we all just toppled over.

Coffee or tea?

coffee 100%

Favorite celebrity and why:

Tina Fey and Amy Poehler. They are the comedic dream team, and have been such good role models to me and many other women.

Favorite movie and why:

Emperor’s New Groove. It’s incredibly unique and just so unlike other Disney movies and it’s hilariously absurd. He turns into a llama, it’s great.

Favorite article of clothing you own:

My flannels.

If you were given a $20 Target gift card, what would you buy?

I’d buy more colorful crew socks. 

Have you ever studied abroad? Where would you like to go?

I just spent my Fall semester in South India doing biology-related research projects. It’s been sometime since I’ve been back, but I still think about my time in India and dream about going back there again someday.

Is there anything new that you still want to try while on the hill?

I have never joined an intramural team. Hopefully next year my friends and I can start a broomball team. Also never tried cheese curds, but hear it’s a game-changer.

How have your future plans changed during your time on the hill?

Biology in general has always been a passion of mine. But it covers such a wide range of things that I wasn’t quite sure what I wanted to pursue. But after taking multiple biology classes and studying abroad in India, I am interested in doing research – specifically on infectious diseases – after my time on the hill.

All pictures were uploaded with permission from Rebecca.