Culture > Digital

How to Make Your Internet Binges More Efficient

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

We’re all guilty of internet binging, also known as “netflixing”.

One minute, you’re browsing the internet for your final research paper, and the next minute, you’re watching Gossip Girl repeats with your hand in a bag of popcorn.  For five hours.  

Although we all do this, it hasn’t occurred to anyone to find a solution to this harmful binge.  Here’s a list of some helpful switches to keep you from wasting all of your time, productivity and the chance at making the Dean’s List this semester, on useless (yet entertaining) crap on the internet.

1.  Switch from Netflix to TED Talks

Netflix, Hulu and all of the rest are probably the best and worst inventions for college students.  Netflix can be a good study break, but it’s usually the start to the vicious cycle of procrastination.  If you’re looking for a good study break, try switching from Netflix to TED Talks.  You still get to relax and stare at your computer screen, but you get to listen to speakers talk about intriguing topics.  TED Talks will feed your brain and keep you stimulated even when you’re giving your brain a break.  Even if you waste time on the TED website, at least you can justify it as a “learning experience” and maybe even bring up some of the topics in a relevant classroom discussion.

2.  Ditch BuzzFeed and pick up relevant blog sites

BuzzFeed is also a toxic time waster.  Entertaining and completely irrelevant to any form of productivity.  Instead of clicking on your bookmarked BuzzFeed site, look up some blogs that are relevant to your daily life.  Whether you’re a part of Student Government Association, Feminists for Social Change or Habitat for Humanity, I’m sure there is a blog that will correlate with your organization’s beliefs and goals.  In addition, there are educational blogs out there that can help you take a step further in your class work! Follow a blog about the author you’re reading in your English class, a blogger who is also studying psychopathology or a blog on how to use a Math major after college.   There are so many possibilities that will help you further your academic passions instead of your passion for BuzzFeed.  

3.  Avoid Social Media and discover News Media

Sure, knowing everything about your “friends” lives by scrolling through Facebook, Twitter and Instagram, can be entertaining, but it’s not getting you anywhere.  Instead, try going to your favorite news site and looking through top stories.  Whether the stories are serious or hilariously bizarre, the news can be (almost) as entertaining as the news on how your graduating high school class is holding up.  Turning your study break into a mini current event session and impress your friends, parents and professors with the relevant or random news stories you come across.

Well there you have it, an attempt at battling procrastination.  By making these three switches, you’ll finish your homework more efficiently AND feed your brain while you’re taking breaks. While it’s hard to win this battle, it’s worth a try!

Netflix Life LineNetflix E-CardDefinition of NetflixingI need HelpObsessed with FacebookBuzzFeed