Game Day: Women’s Softball in Florida

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Most of us spent our spring breaks with family or friends, soaking up the sunshine, touring a fascinating city, or even just relaxing in our parent’s basements.  For the St. Olaf Women’s Softball team, spring break brings a trip to Orlando, Florida where they kick off the season and leave with incredible memories and strong team bonds.  I caught up with catcher Maggie Scholer ’13, one of the captains of this year’s squad, to gain a little insight about the team’s goals and how they fared in Florida this year.

With six seniors on the roster, the team is bursting with leadership, but with 10 new freshman eager to gain a spot on the roster, there is an interesting dynamic on this year’s team.  “The team is different from last year in that we have a lot of freshmen that came in and are competing for starting spots with upperclassman,” Scholer said.  On the surface, this would seem like the team’s bonds would be tested.  However, with the help of some long-standing traditions, the girls make and maintain lasting friendships. One tradition the team has is a lip-synching contest that is performed each year on the Florida trip.  “Each year is a group and you pick a song, come up with choreography for it and of course must lip sing it. Our coaches are the judges. It is a fun way to see everyone in a different light than just being on the field,” Scholer explained. 

Along with some fun in the sun, the team went .500, winning five games and losing five.  It’s not a bad start for the Oles who hope to improve upon their record of 18-22 overall, 10-2 in the MIAC last year.  Scholer says the team’s goals are: “for our team this year are to make it to the MIAC playoffs and see how we can go from there. We also are determined to trust each other, and have positivity throughout the season.”  The Florida spring trip is just the beginning of the season for the girls, but it is a crucial week of the season.  As Scholer says, “It helps everyone especially the freshmen see what college softball is like, and to get all the nerves out before we start conference play.”  They finished the trip strong with two wins on March 28, the final day of the trip.  The team kicks off conference play on April 4 vs. Gustavus and has its first home game on April 10 vs. Augsburg.