Game Day: Recent Ole Athletes of the Week

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Despite the multiple feet of snow in April and May and the nightmare of a scheduling problem that spring sports have endured this season, some of our Ole athletes have found their way into the coveted MIAC Athlete of the Week honor.  Over the past few weeks, our Oles have represented our school well despite this never-ending winter.

During the week of April 23, Ole golfer Molly Erickson (’13) had the honor of being named golfer of the week.  Erickson got her fourth individual win of 2012-13 at the Wartburg Spring Invitational.  The transition from the fall season to spring has been a little bit difficult for the Oles, but they have managed to consistently improve since last year, and stay on top of the MIAC for two consecutive championships.  On getting the award, Erickson said, “Being the women’s golfer of the week is always a great honor, but I’m just happy to be playing my best for the team. Golf is an individual sport played within the parameters of a team, and we focus on doing what we can personally to perform as a whole.”  Erickson also says that the team’s goal is to place within the top five at Nationals this year (last year the squad placed ninth out of twenty).  Erickson leads the MIAC with a stroke average of 78.4, which is pretty impressive. 

The golf team not only has a talent in Erickson, but another star player in Molly Knutson (’13).  Knutson earned the player of the week on April 30 after the team won the Carleton Invitational (it’s always good to beat those other guys across the river!).  Knutson placed third on the weekend, scoring an 80 on the first day, and the top scoring 3-over-par 75 on the second day.  The golf team has won four out of the last five tournaments, with a big help from Knutson who averages 82.8 strokes per round of golf. 

Lastly, the most recent MIAC Athlete of the Week winner of the Oles goes to Becca Bevans (’13) on May 1.  Bevans recorded one of the top times in the MIAC and Division III in the 10,000 meter run at the famed Drake Relays this past weekend.  Not only did Bevans record a top-12 finish, but she was one of the few Division III athletes in a Division I race.  Bevans also finished the 10K with a time of 36:09.43, which is the second-fastest time in the MIAC this season (Becca Lee (’13) holds the top honor). 

Congratulations to these outstanding senior ladies on their accomplishments in the past few weeks! UM YAH YAH!