Game Day: Ole Football Homecoming Win vs. Gustavus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Whenever homecoming season rolls around, I have great memories cheering on my high school football team. My high school was HUGE and well-known for their championship football teams. I spent every chilly fall Friday night cheering on my high school’s team, and the atmosphere was incredible. Everybody was excited: the players, the band, the announcers and obviously the crowd.

Coming to St. Olaf proved to be an adjustment, as the football games aren’t anticipated nearly as much as they were at my high school. Just because the “big game” atmosphere is missing does not mean our team’s athletic gifts are absent. If you haven’t checked out the Oles this year yet, you’re missing out on a talented group of young men.

Last week’s homecoming game brought energy to the Hill on Manitou Field as the Oles beat the Gusties 17-14. The Oles now have an overall record of 3-1 and a MIAC record of 1-1, while Gustavus dropped to 0-2 in the MIAC. Senior Quarterback Dan Dobson was able to connect with Jake Schmeising ’13 twice for a total of two five-yard touchdowns.

Schmiesing’s first touchdown came in the first quarter after an interception by Jimmy Gildea ’14, three successive sacks by the St. Olaf Defense and a 51-yard carry for wide-receiver Steven Asp ’14. The Oles also made a goal-line-stand, keeping the Gusties point total at zero as the second half concluded.

Dobson found Schmeising for the second time in the third quarter, putting the Oles up 14-0. The Gusties attempted a comeback in the fourth quarter and managed to gain a touchdown from the four-yard-line. But the Oles quickly struck back with a 24-yard field goal by freshman Lucas Wainman, making the score 17-7. Once again, Gustavus came close to catching the lead that St. Olaf acquired in the first quarter with a touchdown during the last few minutes of the game, but the Oles recovered and walked away as victors. The Ole defense limited the Gusties to only 77 total yards for the day, proving the game to be a total team effort.

The Oles hit the road to take on St. John’s (2-2 overall, 0-2 in MIAC contests) this Saturday, September 29. Hopefully our men in black and gold can take on the Johnnies with the momentum from last week’s Homecoming game.

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com