Game Day: Men’s Gopher Hockey Team Sweeps Michigan State

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Minnesota is undoubtedly the “State of Hockey.” Thousands of kids are members of Minnesota youth and high school hockey teams, and many of them go on to become elite players around the country and world. With that many players and talent, it’s no surprise that there is a large number of hockey supporters and fans in the State of Hockey.

In the absence of Wild games to watch or attend due to the NHL lockout, the University of Minnesota Golden Gophers drew a lot of attention with the opening of their season this past weekend, giving a preview of what’s sure to be an exciting season. The Gophers played (and swept) the #16 Michigan State on Oct. 12-13 and deservingly earned the number one place in the USA Today/USA Hockey Magazine and USCHO.com polls on Monday. Other college hockey teams included in the top five are Boston College, North Dakota, Miami University, and Michigan.

The Gophers steamrolled the Spartans on Friday Oct. 12 with a 5-1 victory and again on Saturday Oct. 13 with a dominating 7-1 score. Five different players scored on Friday and goalie Michael Shibrowski stopped 25 shots in his first career start. Saturday’s game allowed the team to build upon Friday night’s victory to complete the sweep when seven different Gophers scored, continuing the offensive hot streak. However, the Gophers’ defense kept the Spartans to only 11 total shots during the game. At the end of the weekend, 16 of Minnesota’s 20 players recorded a point over the span of the two game non-conference series, showing that the team has more than just a few dominant players.

Minnesota hockey fans lamenting the loss of the NHL season at least have something to smile about as the Gophers are proving to be a team to keep an eye on. The Gophers have a deep roster full of talent, both offensively and defensively. It should be an thrilling season for the University of Minnesota (2-0) who have the potential to draw even more spectator attention without Wild games to watch. For all the hockey lovers who miss watching the NHL: in the meantime, check out the Gophers as they take on Michigan Tech Oct. 19 and 20 for their first WCHA match-up this weekend.

Photo Credit: www.thesportsbank.net

Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com