Fram Fram to Fitness: Bittersweet Endings and New Beginnings

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Dear HC fitness readers,

I have sat here for a while, trying to figure out how I would write my last blog for the semester. It’s incredibly bittersweet, mainly because the end of this blog reminds me of my time that is coming to an end in New Zealand. Luckily, I have about a month left here, and I am taking it all in. Ironically, sometimes I forget that I am in New Zealand, especially when school work gets busy. But then, I just go outside and look around me, and I think, “Wow, I am blessed!”

Before I came to Dunedin, people told me that the weather was going to be super rainy. In the four months I have been here it has probably rained about one week and a half, and in the five months I have been in New Zealand it has probably rained two weeks total. Pretty good, eh? Not only has New Zealand exceeded my high expectations of its scenery and wildlife, but I’ve also learned a lot about myself, not only from others but just from my time abroad in general.

Despite the sad thought of leaving New Zealand, I am really excited for what lies ahead: Seeing my family in our new home in Colorado and staying with them for the summer, followed by my senior year at Olaf – living with my best friends! There is a lot to look forward to, and I am excited for these new adventures. I look at my road to healthiness in the same respect, doing different exercises at the gym, going on strenuous hikes, finding new and healthier foods to eat or making modifications to some unhealthy choices I’ve made.

For the rest of my time here in New Zealand I have made it my goal to be the healthiest I can—kicking off a healthy summer. You’re almost done with your freshman, sophomore, junior or senior year; and although it’s the end, look at it as a new beginning, a summer to try something new. I know when I get home I would really like to try some different such as a yoga or pilates class.

Cherish your last week or so at Olaf with your friends! Although I know this is a stressful time of the semester, make the most of it! Then, take time to rejuvenate over the summer and be ready for a healthy and happy new school year.

So until I see you next school year, cheers to a new healthier you!
Anne

It looks like this sheep is enjoying the view as much as I am!

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.