Cooking on Campus: St. Patty’s Day marshmallow treats

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

This week’s recipe is a special St. Patrick’s Day treat. I found the recipe for caramel and chocolate covered marshmallows on Pinterest and just knew I had to try it out. I have always loved chocolate covered marshmallows and the idea of adding caramel sounded absolutely divine!

I made these marshmallows on Friday night and by Sunday night they were all gone. My friends loved them just as much as I did and we all had a very hard time resisting the urge to devour them all at once. Our lack of self-control took over as we actually had a couple marshmallows for breakfast over the weekend. Marshmallows aren’t that bad for you… right?

No matter how unhealthy these marshmallows may be I strongly urge you to try them in honor of St. Patrick’s Day. Use fun St. Patrick’s Day themed sprinkles to get in the spirit!

All you need is:

• 1 bag of caramel bits
  • 1 bag of marshmallows
  • Baking sticks or skewers
  • 1 bar of almond bark
  • Start by pushing 2 to 3 marshmallows on a stick. 3 is a good number, but you can also do individual marshmallows if you want.
  • Melt the caramel in either the microwave or on the stove- make sure to follow the directions on the bag
  • Prepare a baking sheet with aluminum foil/parchment paper. Make sure to spray the foil with baking spray so the marshmallows do not stick.
  • Dip the marshmallows in the melted caramel. I found that brushing the caramel on works better.
  • Let the caramel set by placing in the refrigerator for at least 10 minutes, or until hard.
  • Melt the chocolate either in the microwave or on the stove.
  • Dip the caramel covered marshmallows in the chocolate, and decorate with St. Patrick’s Day sprinkles!
  • Let dry, serve & enjoy!
Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com