Cooking on Campus: S’mores Dip

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

This never-ending Minnesota winter is terrible for many reasons. No one enjoys cold, drizzly ice/snow/rain even in the winter, let alone when it should be 60 degrees and sunny. The rebirth of nature celebrated by everyone has been delayed drastically with the lack of sunshine. Instead of sipping beers and watching baseball, people are stuck inside watching baseball on TV. As a senior in college with only a month left of school I should be laying out after classes and lounging around with my friends on our deck, but am instead stuck inside on my couch.

To combat the depressing nature of this weather I have taken to spending more time at the gym, preparing for a swimsuit season that might not ever come. Nonetheless, working out helps me not feel quite as sad at the lack of sunshine.

I have also been spending more time with my friends (and perhaps less time on homework). Our time together usually ends up involving food (counterproductive to the whole gym/swimsuit season thing), whether going to happy hour or making dinner together.

In my weekly Pinterest sessions I found a dish perfect for combating the terrible weather. What treat says summer more than s’mores? Summer nights spent at the cabin with family, crouched around a fire roasting marshmallows are part of almost everyone’s idyllic summer memories.

This week’s recipe brings s’mores to the winter with an incredibly sinful dip. Melted chocolate chips and marshmallows covered with toasted marshmallows, dipped with graham crackers.

This dip is seriously dangerous.

I shared this dip with friends, and it was completely gone within the night. A little of this dip can go a long way because it is so rich and decadent. Try mixing in crushed graham crackers with the chocolate for an even more crunchy, s’mores texture.

So don’t give in to this winter weather, and fight back with visions of summer and some summer treats, like this s’mores dip.

All you need is: 

–       1 cup of milk chocolate chips

–       2 tablespoons of milk

–       1 ¼ cup mini marshmallows

–       Graham crackers for dipping

1.     Melt chocolate chips, milk, and 1 cup of marshmallows in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir often until smooth. 

2.     Pour melted chocolate mixture into a small casserole dish and top with the rest of the marshmallows. 

3.     Place dish under broiler until marshmallows are brown and gooey, about 60 seconds. 

Serve with graham crackers for dipping and enjoy!

Recipe from Bakeaholic Mama

Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.