Cooking on Campus: Red Velvet Peppermint Cookies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Candy canes are one of my favorite holiday treats. Used to decorate a Christmas tree or just to snack on, candy canes are an iconic holiday candy. These chewy, Red Velvet Peppermint Cookies have the right amount of peppermint flavor with a crunch of crushed candy canes.

They only call for cake mix and a few other easily found ingredients, and they take little time to prepare, making for great dorm kitchen cookies. I love the cake texture and the hint of peppermint flavor. My roommates loved these cookies and I am thinking about adding them to my regular Christmas cookie list because they were such a hit. All in all, a great, easy-to-make Christmas cookie!

All you need is:

• 1 box Red Velvet cake mix
  •  6 tbl butter
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 tsp peppermint extract
  • ½ cup crushed candy canes
  • 1 cup powdered sugar
  • 1 tsp cornstarch
  1. Melt butter and set aside to cool.
  2. In a large bowl mix cake mix, butter, egg, peppermint extract. Once mixed add in crushed candy canes.
  3. Refrigerate dough for an hour or until dough is chilled and hardened.
  4. Preheat oven to 357
  5. Mix powdered sugar and cornstarch in a bowl.
  6. Roll dough into small balls and then roll in powdered sugar mixture.
  7. Place spread out on a baking sheet and bake for 9 minutes. The cookies won’t look done, but trust me, they are. Let cool for a couple minutes on the sheet then spread on a cooling rack.
Bri attends St. Olaf College in Northfield, Minnesota and is majoring in Psychology with concentrations in Media Studies and Women's Studies. She is most passionate about writing, traveling, cooking, hand-written letters and cheering on the Minnesota Vikings and Wisconsin Badgers. In her free time, she enjoys running, photography, attempting to blog and spending time with her amazing family and friends. She is currently an Arts & Entertainment Editor for the St. Olaf College newspaper with the lovely Lucy Casale and aspires to further explore the field of journalism after graduation.